Reporters Without Borders stages major protests for Olympic torch relay in Paris despite massive police presence

Posted on

first_img RSF_en China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes to go further ChinaAsia – Pacific News News ChinaAsia – Pacific April 27, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts April 7, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Borders stages major protests for Olympic torch relay in Paris despite massive police presence Organisation News China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures Reporters Without Borders hails the extensive demonstrations in support of human rights and press freedom that were staged today in Paris as relay runners carried the Olympic torch around the city. The press freedom organisation managed to unfurl gigantic flags with its Beijing 2008 campaign motif of the Olympic rings turned handcuffs in seven locations: the Eiffel Tower, Avenue Marceau, the Champs-Elysées, the Pont des Arts, the Quai Malaquais, the facade of the cathedral of Notre Dame and near the Charléty Stadium (headquarters of the National Olympic Committee).“The support of the Parisian public was never lacking throughout the day and we thank the many people who responded to our appeals to show support for human rights and press freedom in China,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This turnout could not be taken for granted, given the excessive security measures to protect the torch relay and the fact that the police were told to act with extreme firmness.”The organisation added: “The Chinese authorities will no longer be able to scorn the appeals for the release of political prisoners and a dialogue on Tibet. It now also falls to heads of state and government to take account of these protests by boycotting the Olympic Games opening ceremony on 8 August.”The Olympic torch relay began under close police surveillance at the foot of the Eiffel Tower at about 12:30 pm. Thousands of Reporters Without Borders and pro-Tibet supporters were positioned along the route of the relay from the very start. Three mountain climbers unfurled the first of the Beijing 2008 campaign flags across the side of one of the Eiffel Tower’s base pillars as the relay got under way. Activists were arrested and manhandled. Firemen removed the climbers from their positions on the tower and the flag was taken down. They were released two hours later.Tense policemen kept confiscating Reporters Without Borders flags and banners and copies of the daily newspaper Libération, which had “Free the Olympic Games” as its banner headline above a photo of the five Olympic rings turned into handcuffs. These scenes were repeated in many places including outside the headquarters of France Télévisions.At one point, pro-Tibet activists succeeded in extinguishing the Olympic flame, forcing organisers to put it inside a bus.Another of the gigantic Reporters Without Borders flags was hung from the third storey of a building on the Champs-Elysées, where a large crowd booed the Olympic torch as it passed. A similar flag was hung from a building on Avenue Marceau. Outside the Paris city hall, opponents of the Chinese regime outnumbered supporters of the Olympic Games.Four Reporters Without Borders activists, including the organisation’s secretary-general, Robert Ménard, unfurled an 8 metres x 8 metres flag across the facade of Notre Dame cathedral. Demonstrators who had gathered in front of the cathedral chanted “Freedom in China, freedom in Tibet.”French politicians also expressed their views. Speaking on behalf of the Socialist Party, parliamentarian Bruno Leroux said all non-violent protests were welcome. The head of the Modem party in Paris, Marielle de Sarnez, took part in the protests and called on the government to take a clear position on human rights.Five people, including Mireille Ferri, the vice-president of the Ile-de-France regional government, and Green Party parliamentarian Sylvain Carel, were arrested during a series of incidents that began before the start of the relay. Around 40 parliamentarians from all the main parties demonstrated outside the National Assembly in support of human rights in Tibet. Here, the police also confiscated the Beijing 2008 campaign flags and Tibetan flags waved by people who joined the parliamentarians.The Olympic torch did not leave the bus between the National Assembly and Charléty Stadium, where the relay finished. The symbol of the Olympics entered the stadium to more boos and whistles. Here, yet again, the police confiscated Reporters Without Borders flags and Tibetan flags, permitting people on the streets outside to have only Chinese flags, the officials logos of the games or those of their sponsors. Chinese government opponents who refused to surrender their flags were arrested and handcuffed.Around 15 supporters of the British section of Reporters Without Borders demonstrated the day before during the Olympic torch relay in London. Wearing white masks and black T-shirts with the Olympic handcuffs, they unfurled the Beijing 2008 campaign flag at the intersection of Ladbroke Grove and Holland Park Avenue at midday. News The press freedom organisation managed to unfurl gigantic flags with its Beijing 2008 campaign motif of the Olympic rings turned handcuffs in seven locations: the Eiffel Tower, Avenue Marceau, the Champs-Elysées, the Pont des Arts, the Quai Malaquais, the facade of the cathedral of Notre Dame and near the Charléty Stadium. Reporters Without Borders thank the many people who responded to our appeals to show support for human rights and press freedom in China. Follow the news on China June 2, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Limerick hospital still battling trauma surgery backlog

Posted on

first_imgLimerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students 64 patients waiting for beds in UHL Numbers of Limerick hospital group staff sidelined by COVID-19 reduces by 162 in past 7 days NewsHealthLimerick hospital still battling trauma surgery backlogBy Bernie English – August 14, 2020 355 “There is extreme overcrowding in UHL this morning” – UHL TAGShealthLimerick City and CountyNewsUHLuniversity hospital limerick Linkedin Print Email University Hospital LimerickUNIVERSITY Hospital Limerick is still battling to deal with a surge in cases which need operating theatre time, including elderly people who fall and break bones.Last week, the Limerick Post reported that a large increase in numbers of admitted patients waiting on trolleys for an in-hospotal bed was largely due to an increase in numbers coming to the ED and an increase in the number of beds needed for trauma patients who were awaiting surgery.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In a statment in reply to a request for an update on the situation by the Limerick Post, a spokesman said that this hospital “remains very busy due to a surge in emergency and trauma theatre cases over the past week. This upswing has continued to impact on patient flow in UHL at a time when significant numbers of unwell patients are attending the hospital’s Emergency Department. “We are sorry that any patient admitted to our hospitals faces a long wait time for a bed. We work to ensure that all patients continue to receive expert medical care while they wait, Between 8am last Wednesday, and 8am this Wednesday, August 8, there was a daily average attendance of 184 patients at the ED. Attendances fell over the weekend (134 on Saturday, 151 on Sunday and 145 on Bank Holiday Monday), but this was preceded by a daily attendance rate in excess of 200 last Wednesday (207), Thursday (204) and Friday (214). Following the significant reduction in emergency presentations during the Covid-19 pandemic (levels for March and April 2020 were 144 and 154 respectively), current weekday attendances at the ED frequently surpass 200. Average daily ED presentations for 2019 were 195. “Patients were waiting in individual bays, on beds or trolleys. Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been no patients on trolleys on corridors in the hospital’s general wards.“Having created capacity for the anticipated Covid-19 surge during March by deferring almost all elective activity, we are now gradually and carefully resuming scheduled care, prioritising care for the sickest patients first. Where patients can safely be seen virtually, this is being facilitated.As part of the Covid precautions, non-Covid patients were diverted to the Acute Surgical Assessment Unit or Acute Medical Unit, “meaning we have effectively been operating three EDs in recent months,” the spokesman said.As part of the drive to bring down the numbers waiting for trauma surgery, the hospital has called in theatre nurses from Ennis and other hospitals in the group so that more theatre time can be offered to patients. As well as identifying patients who can are discharged and treated in the community by specialist teams, the hospital is using the Intermediate Care Facility (ICF) at the University of Limerick. As as of Tuesday morning there were 28 patients being cared for in the facility. Capacity can be further increased in line with demand.center_img Previous articleMunster confirm academy player has tested positive for COVID-19Next articleLimerick Senior Football Championship Preview Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook Updated statement on service disruptions UL Hospitals Group Twitter 53 patients waiting for beds at UHL last_img read more

Fernando Tatis Jr. injury update: Padres’ star rookie (back) likely done for season, manager says

Posted on

first_imgSan Diego is 7 1/2 games back of the Cubs for the second wild-card spot and 23 1/2 games out of first place in the NL West.The Padres need Tatis, but they also need him long term and there’s little reason to risk further injury for a playoff push which might be a lost cause. The move is retroactive to Aug. 14, and according to manager Andy Green, the rookie is “most likely done for the season.””It’s been really tough for him over the last couple of days to kind of swallow this. For us, it’s a tough blow. For him, we’re going to take care of him,” Green told reporters Friday. “Obviously, we’re going to do what we can to take care of him as a young guy in the big leagues who we expect to be a huge part of what we do going forward.” Related News Cubs bring back Addison Russell, send Albert Almora to minors Green added he expects Tatis to make a full recovery.Tatis, 20, is among the MLB rookie leaders in batting average (.317), home runs (22), RBIs (53), stolen bases (16) and on-base percentage (.379). He has done all of this in just 84 games as he missed a good portion of the year with a hamstring injury.This time Tatis came up gimpy after a swing and considering the Padres’ position in the National League wild-card race, it’s not a surprise the team could hold him out for the year. Fernando Tatis Jr. is one of the best rookies in all of MLB this season but he’s about to spend some more time on the shelf.The Padres placed Tatis on the 10-day injured list Friday with a stress reaction in his lower back, the team announced.last_img read more