Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students 64 patients waiting for beds in UHL Numbers of Limerick hospital group staff sidelined by COVID-19 reduces by 162 in past 7 days NewsHealthLimerick hospital still battling trauma surgery backlogBy Bernie English – August 14, 2020 355 “There is extreme overcrowding in UHL this morning” – UHL TAGShealthLimerick City and CountyNewsUHLuniversity hospital limerick Linkedin Print Email University Hospital LimerickUNIVERSITY Hospital Limerick is still battling to deal with a surge in cases which need operating theatre time, including elderly people who fall and break bones.Last week, the Limerick Post reported that a large increase in numbers of admitted patients waiting on trolleys for an in-hospotal bed was largely due to an increase in numbers coming to the ED and an increase in the number of beds needed for trauma patients who were awaiting surgery.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In a statment in reply to a request for an update on the situation by the Limerick Post, a spokesman said that this hospital “remains very busy due to a surge in emergency and trauma theatre cases over the past week. This upswing has continued to impact on patient flow in UHL at a time when significant numbers of unwell patients are attending the hospital’s Emergency Department. “We are sorry that any patient admitted to our hospitals faces a long wait time for a bed. We work to ensure that all patients continue to receive expert medical care while they wait, Between 8am last Wednesday, and 8am this Wednesday, August 8, there was a daily average attendance of 184 patients at the ED. Attendances fell over the weekend (134 on Saturday, 151 on Sunday and 145 on Bank Holiday Monday), but this was preceded by a daily attendance rate in excess of 200 last Wednesday (207), Thursday (204) and Friday (214). Following the significant reduction in emergency presentations during the Covid-19 pandemic (levels for March and April 2020 were 144 and 154 respectively), current weekday attendances at the ED frequently surpass 200. Average daily ED presentations for 2019 were 195. “Patients were waiting in individual bays, on beds or trolleys. Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been no patients on trolleys on corridors in the hospital’s general wards.“Having created capacity for the anticipated Covid-19 surge during March by deferring almost all elective activity, we are now gradually and carefully resuming scheduled care, prioritising care for the sickest patients first. Where patients can safely be seen virtually, this is being facilitated.As part of the Covid precautions, non-Covid patients were diverted to the Acute Surgical Assessment Unit or Acute Medical Unit, “meaning we have effectively been operating three EDs in recent months,” the spokesman said.As part of the drive to bring down the numbers waiting for trauma surgery, the hospital has called in theatre nurses from Ennis and other hospitals in the group so that more theatre time can be offered to patients. As well as identifying patients who can are discharged and treated in the community by specialist teams, the hospital is using the Intermediate Care Facility (ICF) at the University of Limerick. As as of Tuesday morning there were 28 patients being cared for in the facility. Capacity can be further increased in line with demand. Previous articleMunster confirm academy player has tested positive for COVID-19Next articleLimerick Senior Football Championship Preview Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook Updated statement on service disruptions UL Hospitals Group Twitter 53 patients waiting for beds at UHL
PEORIA, Ariz. – IMCA Modifieds run for $1,000 to win and berths on the Fast Shafts Allstar Invitational all four nights of the 2018 Winter Challenge Series at Canyon Speedway Park.Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 20-21 and Jan. 27-28 programs also feature IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars and Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods in $500 to win features while IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks chase $250 top checks.IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National, Allstar Performance State and special series, but no track points, will be given all four nights. Larry Shaw Race Cars Western Region points will also be awarded to Modifieds, EQ Cylinder Heads Southern Region points to Stock Cars and Big Daddy Race Cars Southern Region points to Hobby Stocks.Pill draw is $25 for the Modifieds, $20 for both Stock Cars and Northern SportMods, and $10 for Hobby Stocks.Pit gates will be open throughout both weekends and camping is available. Grandstands open at 11 a.m. and racing begins at 1 p.m. Pit passes are $35 for adults, $20 for kids ages 7-11 and free for six and under. All minors need a notarized minor release form filled out. The form is available on the Canyon Speedway Park website.Spectator admission is $20 for adults, $15 for seniors and military, and free for kids 11 and under.Open practice sessions start at 7 p.m. Fridays Jan. 19 and 26. Practice night pit passes are $20 and under 12 are free with a notarized minor release form.More information is available at the www.canyonspeedwaypark.com website or by calling 602 258-7223.
The 25-year-old, who can also operate on the left side of midfield, will move to Carrow Road on a four-year deal from the Championship club for an undisclosed fee once all of the relevant paperwork has been completed. Olsson has been a long-term target of Canaries manager Chris Hughton, who has been on a summer spending spree following the club’s record £8.5million capture of Holland international Ricky van Wolfswinkel, while England Under-21 winger Nathan Redmond was last week purchased from Birmingham, and defender Javier Garrido has signed permanently after a loan from Lazio. Norwich have confirmed the signing of Sweden international defender Martin Olsson from Blackburn Rovers. Press Association “We are delighted with the addition of Martin. He’s been playing in England for seven years and is well acclimatised to the Premier League,” said Hughton on the club’s official website, www.canaries.co.uk. “He can also play anywhere on the left hand side so he brings us good flexibility in that sense, plus at 25 he’s at an age where he has some experience and also some time to improve. “At this time it is about improving the squad that we have and Martin certainly does that.” Hughton is expected to show no let-up in his summer recruitment drive, with Scotland defender Russell Martin yesterday signing on for another three years with a contract extension. Norwich are understood to be tracking PSV Eindhoven’s Sweden international Ola Toivonen, Lokomotiv Moscow’s £6million-rated Senegal striker Dame N’Doye. Feyenoord midfielder Leroy Fer and Ajax defender Toby Alderweireld, meanwhile, are also reported targets for the Canaries, with suggestions the duo have already travelled to East Anglia to take in the club’s facilities ahead of undergoing medicals. Norwich later confirmed goalkeeper Carlo Nash had completed a free-transfer move after being released by Stoke. The 39-year-old will provide cover to England international John Ruddy, who had been a target for Chelsea, and Mark Bunn.
Press Association “I think you must have been either ‘head in the clouds’ or away on holiday or reporting on a different team because if you don’t know the answer to that question your question is absolutely unbelievable, the fact you do not understand where I am coming from. “If you don’t know the answer to that question then I think you are an ostrich. Your head must be in the sand. Is your head in the sand? Are you flexible enough to get your head in the sand? My suspicion would be no.” Pearson apologised at his team’s pre-match press conference on Thursday – although shortly after he got into another verbal joust with a different journalist. Former Sunderland boss Reid told BBC Radio 5 Live: “I know Nigel as well as anybody – he’s such an amiable character and a good chap. Whether it’s pressure I don’t know – but he certainly didn’t come across great. “I’ve given it to plenty of reporters face to face and they’ve given me it back – and I think that’s healthy. “But I like to do it personally. When it’s personal, face to face, you get your point across much better.” West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has defended Pearson , who earlier in the season used expletives in a disagreement with a fan, put his hands around the throat of Everton midfielder James McArthur and ended another spat with a journalist with a series of unpleasantries. But Allardyce, speaking at his press conference ahead of West Ham’s game against Burnley on Saturday, leapt to the defence of his fellow manager and hit out at the furore created around this latest incident. He said: “When you are down there dealing with the pressures that come upon in terms of staying in the Premier League, I think it is a huge pressure for everybody to continue to work under that situation and come through it. “What surprises me is this condescending attitude about what should happen to Nigel that I have been hearing about this morning. People have been talking about bullying and stuff like that – what a load of rubbish. It’s an outburst. Simple as that, plain and simple. “But I listen to the world of the media and sometimes it really does baffle me what they come out with in terms of what he should or shouldn’t be doing.” QPR manager Chris Ramsey, whose side are also involved in the relegation battle, cited the pressure on managers scrapping at the foot of the division as the main catalyst for such issues. “Any manager would feel the pressure,” he said. “Most of the pressure isn’t about yourself, you want to do well for the fans and the owners and everyone who has put their effort and time into the club. “That’s where you feel the pressure from. It’s how you can keep everyone that surrounds the club in work, that’s how I see the pressure.” Newcastle head coach John Carver, who was at Wednesday night’s game and who takes his team to Leicester on Saturday, also had a great deal of sympathy for Pearson. When asked whether he understood the rant, Carver said: “Absolutely. He’s exactly the same as me. He wears his heart on his sleeve and I can understand he loses his temper with a journalist because it is sometimes frustrating. “They (Leicester) did extremely well against a top side and it’s a bit unfair, the criticism he got last night. He doesn’t deserve that. He’s done an excellent job. “Four games ago they weren’t in with a chance of staying up, and he’s deserves a lot of credit because they were dead and buried. He’s turned that around.” Pearson was branded a bully for a bizarre press conference in which he labelled a journalist “an ostrich”, following the Foxes’ 3-1 defeat to champions-elect Chelsea at the King Power Stadium on Wednesday night. Asked to elaborate on claims his players were receiving constant criticism this season, Pearson replied: “Have you been on holiday for six months? Have you been away for six months? Former Premier League boss Peter Reid has questioned Leicester boss Nigel Pearson for his decision to apologise to a journalist in public.
However, both Clanwilliam and Thurles are out following losses to Galbally and Young Munster respectively. Cashel followed up their victory against holders Shannon in the previous round by defeating UCC 18-17 at the Mardyke.Clonmel also won in Cork – they defeated Youghal 30-12.Kilfeacle advanced to the next round too courtesy of a 23-7 home win over Highfield.
Olawale Ajimotokan in AbujaIndia has deployed one of her top coaches, Shriam Renganathan, to the Nigeria cricket team for the World Cricket League Division 5 competition billed for Jersey Island from May 19 through May 29.Nigeria will compete in the same group with Tanzania, Gurnsey, Jersey Island, Oman and Vanuatu for the two available slots that will upgrade them to Division 4, the highest level ever to be attained by the country in world cricket. Failure to progress will see them remain in Division 5 or demoted to Division 6.Renganathan is a Level A coach certified by the Board of Control for Cricket India (BCCI) to assist national coach Uche Ogbimi. The President of Nigeria Cricket Federation (NCF) Emeka Onyeama, said yesterday that Renganathian is in the country in his voluntary capacity and will help in taking Nigerian players to the platform that will expose them to world level.Onyeama said the technical agreement with India will also enable Nigerian players play professional cricket in India, considered one of world’s leading cricket nations.The Nigerian team of 16 players, who have been in camp since February, will depart for London on Wednesday for a number of pre-tournament warm up matches before heading to Jersey Island.“The International Cricket Council (ICC) has set up a World Cup League that will take us to the final stage of the league of ‘big boys’. Division 4 is a higher platform of rating which we are targeting to raise the quality of the game in Nigeria as well as explore commercial opportunities,’’ Onyeama said.Nigeria’s captain, Kunle Adegbola, expressed confidence the ‘Yellow Greens’ will qualify for Division 4, saying the 16 selected players out of 40 that went through three camping phases since February are the best in the country.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram