January 22, 2021 Find out more EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Organisation Help by sharing this information EgyptMiddle East – North Africa News RSF_en Reporters Without Borders hails today’s decision by a court in the Cairo district of Hadayek El Qobba to acquit blogger Wael Abbas on appeal and quash the six-month sentence that had been imposed by a lower court.“This is a victory for netizens who express their views freely online and a setback for the government and its strategy of harassment and intimidating its critics,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We now call for justice to be rendered to the blogger Kareem Amer, who has already served two thirds of his jail sentence and who should be freed unconditionally.”——17.02.2010: Authorities urged to stop persecuting leading blogger Wael AbbasLeading Egyptian blogger Wael Abbas could see his six-month prison sentence upheld tomorrow if his appeal is rejected by the court that is due to hear it tomorrow. The sentence was imposed on 11 November by a court in the North Cairo suburb of Hadayek El Qobba after it convicted him on a charge of damaging an Internet cable.The damage was in fact caused last April by a policeman and his brother (the cable’s actual user), who were also responsible for a physical attack on Abbas.“We call for this ridiculous conviction to be overturned at once and for Wael Abbas to be acquitted,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The real aim of this trumped-up charge was to silence a well-known blogger and prevent him from continuing to expose things that embarrass the authorities. The government is showing that it is openly hostile to the free flow of information online and will stop at nothing to control it.”The persecution of Abbas is typical of the way bloggers are constantly harassed by the authorities, who fear their ability to rally the regime’s critics and galvanise them into action. Abbas has been well known ever since he posted videos of torture in Egyptian police stations on his blog.One netizen is currently imprisoned in Egypt. It is the blogger Kareem Amer, who was arrested in 2006 for posting a critical comment on an Internet forum and who was sentenced in 2007 to three years in prison on a charge of insulting the president and another year in prison on a charge of inciting hatred of Islam.Describing the case against Wael Abbas as a “manipulation of the law,” the Arabic Network for Human Rights Information today called on free speech activists in Egypt and the rest of the world to express their support for him. to go further Follow the news on Egypt News February 6, 2021 Find out more February 18, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Appeal court quashes blogger Wael Abbas’ conviction Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison News News February 1, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff
Help by sharing this information News BangladeshAsia – Pacific RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières) expressed outrage at the barbaric murder of a regional newspaper editor who was decapitated by men who attacked him with axes.The murder of Dipankar Chakrabarty, in Sherpur in the north-west, brings to four the number of journalists killed in Bangladesh since the start of 2004.The international press freedom organisation called on home affairs minister, Lutfozzaman Babor, to set up an investigative commission to probe the case and to send more police officers to the Sherpur area.”Unless all possible light is shed on the motives for this murder, the entire press will suffer anguish. This execution bears the hallmarks of people ready to do anything to get rid of a journalist who was getting in their way,” it said in a letter to the minister.Chakrabarty, editor of regional daily Durjoy Bangla, was returning home after work when five young men jumped him and hacked him to death. Neighbours heard screams and the sound of scooters on which the killers fled. They rushed into the street and found the editor’s decapitated body. After a post mortem examination the body was taken to the Bogra press club.A police officer told Agence France-Presse that the murder was the work of “professionals”, but he did not yet know the motives or the identity of those responsible. Chakrabarty had previously told Reporters Without Borders that he felt threatened because of his revelations about local gangsters who enjoyed the protection of some politicians in Sherpur. Journalists in Sherpur and Bogra sent an ultimatum to the local authorities to find the killers in the next 72 hours as a silent march was organised in the town. Regional newspapers will all carry blank front pages over the next three days as a mark of protest.Dipankar Chakrabarty, 59, began his career as a journalist in the 1970s. He was vice-president of the Bogra branch of the Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists (BFUJ). The BFUJ decided to hang a black flag in all its offices and its members will wear a black badge for three days.After Iraq and the Philippines, Bangladesh has seen the largest number of journalists (4) killed while doing their jobs in 2004. More journalists suffered physical attack and received death threats in Bangladesh than in any other country during 2002, 2003 and during the first months of 2004. Dipankar Chakrabarty, editor of the regional daily Durjoy Bangla, has been murdered. Journalists have given police in Bogra 72 hours to identify those responsible. Reporters Without Borders urged the interior minister to set up a special investigative commission. Organisation February 22, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Bangladesh Receive email alerts February 26, 2021 Find out more News Bangladeshi writer and blogger dies in detention October 4, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newspaper editor beheaded in axe attack BangladeshAsia – Pacific to go further News RSF calls for the release of Bangladeshi journalist Rozina Islam, unfairly accused of espionage May 19, 2021 Find out more Bangladeshi reporter fatally shot by ruling party activists News
Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students 64 patients waiting for beds in UHL Numbers of Limerick hospital group staff sidelined by COVID-19 reduces by 162 in past 7 days NewsHealthLimerick hospital still battling trauma surgery backlogBy Bernie English – August 14, 2020 355 “There is extreme overcrowding in UHL this morning” – UHL TAGShealthLimerick City and CountyNewsUHLuniversity hospital limerick Linkedin Print Email University Hospital LimerickUNIVERSITY Hospital Limerick is still battling to deal with a surge in cases which need operating theatre time, including elderly people who fall and break bones.Last week, the Limerick Post reported that a large increase in numbers of admitted patients waiting on trolleys for an in-hospotal bed was largely due to an increase in numbers coming to the ED and an increase in the number of beds needed for trauma patients who were awaiting surgery.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In a statment in reply to a request for an update on the situation by the Limerick Post, a spokesman said that this hospital “remains very busy due to a surge in emergency and trauma theatre cases over the past week. This upswing has continued to impact on patient flow in UHL at a time when significant numbers of unwell patients are attending the hospital’s Emergency Department. “We are sorry that any patient admitted to our hospitals faces a long wait time for a bed. We work to ensure that all patients continue to receive expert medical care while they wait, Between 8am last Wednesday, and 8am this Wednesday, August 8, there was a daily average attendance of 184 patients at the ED. Attendances fell over the weekend (134 on Saturday, 151 on Sunday and 145 on Bank Holiday Monday), but this was preceded by a daily attendance rate in excess of 200 last Wednesday (207), Thursday (204) and Friday (214). Following the significant reduction in emergency presentations during the Covid-19 pandemic (levels for March and April 2020 were 144 and 154 respectively), current weekday attendances at the ED frequently surpass 200. Average daily ED presentations for 2019 were 195. “Patients were waiting in individual bays, on beds or trolleys. Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been no patients on trolleys on corridors in the hospital’s general wards.“Having created capacity for the anticipated Covid-19 surge during March by deferring almost all elective activity, we are now gradually and carefully resuming scheduled care, prioritising care for the sickest patients first. Where patients can safely be seen virtually, this is being facilitated.As part of the Covid precautions, non-Covid patients were diverted to the Acute Surgical Assessment Unit or Acute Medical Unit, “meaning we have effectively been operating three EDs in recent months,” the spokesman said.As part of the drive to bring down the numbers waiting for trauma surgery, the hospital has called in theatre nurses from Ennis and other hospitals in the group so that more theatre time can be offered to patients. As well as identifying patients who can are discharged and treated in the community by specialist teams, the hospital is using the Intermediate Care Facility (ICF) at the University of Limerick. As as of Tuesday morning there were 28 patients being cared for in the facility. Capacity can be further increased in line with demand. Previous articleMunster confirm academy player has tested positive for COVID-19Next articleLimerick Senior Football Championship Preview Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook Updated statement on service disruptions UL Hospitals Group Twitter 53 patients waiting for beds at UHL
“They don’t represent a sudden surge in the number of deaths,” he told reporters.According to an AFP tally from official sources at 1300 GMT on Wednesday, Britain has now leapfrogged the tolls in France and Spain and is the second-worst affected country in Europe, behind Italy’s 27,359 deaths. The United States has the world’s worst death toll with 58,355. ‘Relief and joy’ Britain shut non-essential shops and services, and ordered people to stay at home except to shop for groceries and medicines, on March 27.A review of the measures is expected on May 7, amid dire warnings about the economic impact and indications of frustration at the continued confinement.Johnson held a lunchtime telephone call with the leader of the main opposition Labor party, Keir Starmer who has called for more clarity on the lockdown exit plan.Starmer earlier joined well-wishers in congratulating Johnson on becoming a father again, particularly after his recent experience. Symonds also displayed COVID-19 symptoms but was not tested.”Whatever differences we have in this house, as human beings we all recognize the anxiety the prime minister and Carrie must have gone through in these past few weeks,” he told parliament.”I really hope this brings them incredible relief and joy.”Johnson had to spend three nights in intensive care, and later admitted his illness “could have gone either way”.He was present for the birth at an unnamed NHS hospital in London and would be taking some paternity leave later in the year, his spokesman said.Johnson has at least five other children, including four with his second wife, Marina Wheeler, from whom he split in 2018.He also had a daughter as a result of an extra-marital affair while he was mayor of London, according to a 2013 court case. The rare good news was soured however by the additional 4,419 deaths in the overall coronavirus death toll, just as Johnson, who returned to work on Monday, is under pressure to ease a month-long lockdown.Until now, Britain had reported only deaths of people who had tested positive for COVID-19 in hospital but there has been mounting concern about high numbers of unreported victims in the wider community.On Tuesday, the Office for National Statistics said deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending April 17 were running at roughly double the five-year average and were the highest weekly total since 1993.Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Wednesday said there were an additional 3,811 deaths included in the outbreak since the start of March, on top of figures from the last 24 hours. Second peak Britain has widened its testing regime for COVID-19 to care homes, the over-65s and people unable to work from home, as part of increased measures to curb the outbreak.A total of 85 frontline workers in the state-run National Health Service (NHS) have died from the coronavirus, and 23 in social care, according to the government.There remain questions about the provision of personal protective equipment to medics and others dealing with patients, and the availability of testing. Raab, who has deputized for Johnson during his illness and recovery, warned the government is not yet ready to ease lockdown restrictions.”This issue of a second spike and the need to avoid it, it’s not a theoretical risk,” he said.”Having relaxed restrictions in Germany over the last week, they’ve seen a rise in the transmission rate of coronavirus.”We’re in a delicate and dangerous moment. We’re coming through the peak, but we’re not there yet.” Britain’s death toll from the coronavirus outbreak jumped to 26,097 on Wednesday — the second-highest in Europe behind Italy and third-highest in the world — as the government took into account fatalities outside hospital, including care homes, for the first time.The increase came after surprise news that Prime Minister Boris Johnson had become a father again at age 55, several months earlier than expected, and just weeks after he was taken to hospital with COVID-19.Downing Street announced that his partner, Carrie Symonds, 32, gave birth to a healthy baby boy, prompting messages of congratulation from across the political spectrum at home and abroad. Topics :
Exactly 7 years ago Michael Essien received the 2006 BBC African Footballer of year Award in a colourful event in Accra.Ghana’s midfielder Michael Essien on Monday 4th June, 2007 was crowned the BBC African Footballer of the Year AwardThe A.C Milan ace then playing for Chelsea beat competition from team mate Didier Drodgba from Ivory Coast and Mohamed Aboutrika of Egypt to win the awardEssien received nearly twice as many votes as the Ahly and Egyptian national playmaker, Aboutrika and Drogba in a public vote organized in January.Farayi Mungazi who represented BBC at the ceremony being organized in Africa for the first time said “We at the BBC take pride in this Award because it is the only one decided exclusively by the fans.” Essien adds his name to the roll call of honour in football cycles that includes two Ghanaians, Abedi Ayew Pele and Sammy Osei Kuffour. Senegal’s El Hadji Diouf and Nigeria maestro Jay Jay Okocha, two times winner of the prestigious award are among the conquerors of the prize decided by fans across the globe.Egyptian Mohammed Barakat remains the first North African to win the award after clinching the 2005 trophy. Essien dedicated the trophy to his fans saying “I am grateful to all those who ensured I became the winner through your votes.” For the first time in the history of the award, the winner was decided live during the BBC World Service’s flagship African sports programme, Fast Track.The award takes into account the football calendar from January to December 2006 and includes domestic leagues, continental club competitions and international matches.