faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Donald CommunityPCC- COMMUNITYVirtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Herbeauty6 Fashion Trends You Should Never Try And 6 You’ll LoveHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyYou Can’t Go Past Our Healthy Quick RecipesHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyZac Efron Is Dating A New Hottie?HerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty7 Things A Man Will Do Only If He Really Loves YouHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty5 Things To Avoid If You Want To Have Whiter TeethHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Special Massage Techniques That Will Make You Return For MoreHerbeautyHerbeauty Community News Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Subscribe Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Make a comment Name (required) Mail (required) (not be published) Website Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Business News 26 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Community News Top of the News STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Community News County COVID-19 Daily Positivity Rates Drops, County Health Officer Upbeat CITY NEWS SERVICE Published on Thursday, July 23, 2020 | 2:36 pm STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week More Cool Stuff Rising coronavirus cases and fatalities remain concerning with four dozen more deaths confirmed on Thursday, but there are signs Los Angeles County is beginning to turn the corner in efforts to slow the spread of the Coronavirus according to the county’s top health officer.On Thursday, the county confirmed another 2,014 cases, pushing the overall total to 166,848 since the start of the pandemic.The county also announced another 49 deaths.A total of 4,262 people have now died as a result of the virus, according to the county.“At least this week, we’re still seeing concerning data,” county health officer Dr. Muntu Davis told reporters in an online briefing. “There are still high case counts, hospitalizations have exceeded 2,200 people for at least the last four days in a row and tragically people are still dying from COVID-19. But I hope this week marks a turning point, and that we’ll start to see the results of our collective actions to slow the spread of COVID-19.“We’re already seeing more positive data,” he said. “Our daily positivity rate remains flat at or just below 8.5% —again, that’s a seven-day average. And while this rate is still higher than what we’d like it to be, it offers some evidence we may be returning to slowing the spread and that our efforts and sacrifices are making a difference.”The seven-day positivity rate in the county reached as high as 11% earlier this month.Davis warned, however, that recent numbers have been daunting, noting that the county reported about 9,000 new cases of the virus in the first three days of the week alone, with a majority of those infections occurring among younger residents.The county also reported that 2,210 people were hospitalized.It was the fifth day in a row the number has exceeded 2,200. But while that number remains just shy of the record set days ago, health officials noted that the steady rise in hospitalizations seen earlier this month appears to have flattened out and may actually be starting to decrease.Davis urged residents to continue adhering to public health orders such as practicing physical distancing and wearing face coverings in public,and he said business owners must continue to meet all health protocols in their operations. EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS
Samson1976/iStockBy IVAN PEREIRA, ABC News(NEW YORK) — The hiker rescued after going missing during a mountain hike praised the team of doctors who revived him after his heart stopped for nearly 45 minutes.Michael Knapinski, 45, told ABC New’s Good Morning America that he’s grateful for the staff at Harborview Medical Center who saved his life after he was caught in a whiteout situation while hiking in Mount Rainier National Park in Washington state last week. Doctors said Knapinski’s heart stopped when he arrived at the hospital, and for over 45 minutes, they used CPR and other methods to get it pumping again.“I mean, there were hundreds of people looking for me and a humongous team of doctors working for me. I’m already a pretty grateful person, but this is just life-changing,” Knapinski told GMA from his hospital bed.Knapinski said he went hiking with his friend on Nov. 7; along the way, they decided to split up and explore different parts of the mountain. Knapinski, who had gone on a 15-mile hike the day before, said the weather picked up as he hiked alone and his surroundings began to get into whiteout conditions as night fell.“I couldn’t see anything down there, zero visibility, even with a headlight or anything,” he said, adding that he has no memory between getting lost and waking up in the hospital. “I don’t know what happened.”National Park crews searched the park until early into the next morning, and temperatures had already dipped to below freezing, according to park officials. A Navy search and rescue team used a helicopter the next morning to find Knapinski.Dr. Nick Johnson, the emergency medicine and critical care specialist at Harborview Medical Center, told ABC News that when Knapinski arrived at the hospital, his body was 70 degrees Fahrenheit and his heart went into an “abnormal rhythm where it stopped pumping blood to the rest of the body.”“I would say the odds were against him,” Johnson said. “We certainly see a lot of people who spend nights in a cold, but he was one of the coldest people that I’ve seen arrive at the hospital, lose their pulse, have a cardiac arrest and survive.”The hospital activated its extracorporeal membrane oxygenation or ECMO team to treat Knapinski and revive him, according to Johnson. The team put tubes into the hiker’s major blood vessels, took the blood out of his body, warmed it up, provided it with oxygen and put it back in, according to the hospital staff.“I mean, essentially, we’re just we’re faced with a patient whose brain has been shut down by the cold. And we’re hoping that we’ll be able to buy enough time to reboot the most complicated computer in the world, essentially,” Dr. Jenelle Badulak, a member of the ECMO team at Harborview Medical Center, told ABC News.Knapinski woke up two days later, much to the relief of the hospital staff, Johnson said.“We had a little telephone celebration first and then all of us have taken turns doing a socially distant mass visit just to say hello, and actually get to talk to them in person,” he said.Knapinski said he was still regaining his cognitive abilities when he woke, but was in awe when the medical professionals told him what happened and how they saved his life.“I was like, ‘Holy moly,’” he said.“A lot of the people that worked on me didn’t really expect me to recover from this,” he added. “They came through my room, introduced themselves, said, ‘Hi, I’m so-and-so, I did this for you and I did that for you.’ I’m really glad they did that because it got me a chance to think a lot of people in.”Doctors said Knapinski will have a long road to recovery, including therapy to restore his memory and cognitive ability. Knapinski said he has some frostbite, stitches and bruises throughout his body.The hiker said he plans to give back to the hospital and the community through volunteer work. As for his future in hiking, Knapinski said he’d consider hiking the mountain again under better weather conditions.“I’ll be safer next time,” he said. “I won’t split up with anybody and definitely learn from my mistake.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Human Services, Innovation, Press Release, Public Health, Seniors Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf announced the launch of the Pennsylvania Link to Community Care website, which connects older Pennsylvanians and individuals with a disability or behavioral health need to services and support available in their community.The Pennsylvania Link to Community Care website provides users with a wide variety of resources including a home care directory and an information referral tool.“We have been working hard to help individuals with a disability and older Pennsylvanians to live where and how they choose, just as any of us would want,” Governor Wolf said. “This new website is a tremendous tool to help you or your loved one make the best and most informed decision about care and services.”The website is a collaboration between the departments of Aging (PDA) and Human Services (DHS), and serves as an extension of PDA’s Aging and Disability Resource call center. With this online resource the commonwealth is adding to its continuing efforts to help Pennsylvanians locate and get the best use of services at the local level.“Our capacity to link seniors and their families with community resources is critical to helping them live and age well at home,” said Secretary of Aging Teresa Osborne. “Today’s launch empowers older Pennsylvanians and their caregivers to proactively explore the service options that are available to them as they seek to remain independent and age in place.”The site features 12 service and support categories, including Advocacy, Behavioral Health, Employment, Finance, Health Care, Housing, In-Home Services, Legal, Meals, Protection from Abuse, Support Groups, and Transportation.Users can find information about organizations, services, and programs within these categories. One major component to the site is its home care directory, which connects individuals to in-home services available in their county. More than 350 in-home service providers appearing on the searchable directory may offer personal care, assistance with activities of daily living, companionship services, respite care, and/or habilitation services.“We are committed to serving Pennsylvanians where they want to be – in their homes and communities,” said DHS Acting Secretary Teresa Miller. “This website is a great resource to connect an individual to the services they need to provide a choice in where they live.”Following the launch of Pennsylvania Link to Community Care, the departments of Aging and Human Services will continue to enhance the website using data and feedback from users, and expand the resources and information provided throughout the site. If you are a provider licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and would like to appear on the home care directory, you may submit your information by navigating to the footer of the site and clicking on “Apply.”To learn more about the Pennsylvania Link to Community Care website, or to find information on resources available in your county, visit www.carelink.pa.gov. November 16, 2017 Pennsylvania Launches Website to Help Seniors and People with Disabilities Find Services Near Home SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
The federal government has allocated $93 million for the next phase of deepening the Jacksonville shipping channel to 47 feet from its current depth of 40 feet. A milestone for the project and a major victory for JAXPORT, the federal government has now fully funded the government’s portion of deepening through JAXPORT’s Blount Island Marine Terminal.Of the total $93 million investment, $57,543,000 is included in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Fiscal Year 20 Work Plan, and an additional $35,457,000 is allocated in the A Budget for America’s Future – President’s Budget FY 2021.“This is the first time JAXPORT has ever received funding in the President’s budget, which speaks volumes about the significance of this project to the Southeast U.S. and the nation,” said JAXPORT CEO Eric Green. “We are extremely grateful to our federal, state and local partners, as well as the dedication and leadership of the JAXPORT Board, for their steadfast support of our growth and the 138,000 jobs Jacksonville’s seaport generates in Florida.”Upon completion of the deepening project, the SSA Jacksonville Container Terminal at Blount Island will feature a vessel turning basin and have the ability to simultaneously accommodate two post-Panamax vessels.Harbor deepening is divided into four segments, contracts A-D, which make up the full length of the 13-mile federally authorized project.The current funding model covers the project’s first 11 miles through Blount Island (contracts A, B and C). Contractors for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers are scheduled to complete the first 5.5 miles in spring 2020, marking the halfway point for this portion of the project.Harbor deepening began in February 2018 and is anticipated to be complete in 2023, two years ahead of its original schedule, based on continued funding from all partners.
Share ASA monitoring sweep marks gambling as the worst underage advertising offender August 26, 2020 StumbleUpon The Betting and Gaming Council (BGC) has written to the Welsh government, urging for a rethink on the terms attached to its business relief programme, which have excluded bookmakers and gambling enterprises from retail reprieves.BGC CEO Michael Dugher has written to Welsh First Minister Rebecca Evans warning the government that more than 2,000 jobs will be placed at risk unless it expands its business relief programme. The Welsh government has chosen not to follow UK precedent, excluding bookmakers and gambling establishments from securing retail rate discounts – with betting shops expected to pay full rent during the lockdown period. “Without assistance with business rates relief, similar to that offered to other sectors in Wales, including other parts of the hospitality, leisure and entertainment industries, there is a real danger that betting shops and casinos will permanently close leading to the direct loss of over 2000 jobs in Wales,” Dugher wrote.“We represent the regulated betting and gaming industry and as a body are committed to driving up standards across the sector.”The BGC reminded the government of the 300 betting shops and four casinos operating across Wales, ‘all of which face financial ruin unless the government steps in’.Furthermore, the council reminded Senedd Cymru of the devastating knock-on effect that gambling closures would have on the Welsh hospitality, tourism and leisure sectors.Dugher continued: “Betting shops, bingo halls and casinos in England were thrown a lifeline when the UK Government announced it was extending its business rates relief scheme to cover their premises as well, recognising the contribution they make to the economy, to sport and the vital part they are playing in the national effort and in communities to cope with the virus.“I don’t for a single second think that the Welsh Government is saying that 2,000 workers in Wales who are employed in the regulated betting industry are less worthy of the support they get in England, but we urgently need a re-think on rates. These 2,000 jobs are hardworking men and women with bills to pay and families to care for. Their jobs are worth every bit as much as someone doing the same job in England.” Related Articles Share UK gambling adopts toughest online advertising code to protect underage audiences August 27, 2020 BGC lauds success of whistle to whistle ban August 21, 2020 Submit