July 6, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for imprisoned journalists to be released on medical grounds May 6, 2020 Find out more Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today about the health and safety of Cuba’s imprisoned journalists, especially Normando Hernández González, the editor of the Colegio de Periodistas Independientes de Camagüey, an independent news agency, who is still waiting for the special medical release his wife requested for him a year ago because of his poor health.This concern is heightened by the news of the death on 24 June of 47-year-old dissident Manuel Acosta in Cienfuegos provincial prison, in the centre of the country, where he had been held for three days for “pre-criminal dangerousness.” The authorities said he killed himself.“How long do the Cuban authorities plan to keep people in prison for working as journalists whose state of health has become incompatible with imprisonment?” Reporters Without Borders asked. “Are they waiting for Hernández to try to take his own life before finally giving him the special release on health grounds that he has been demanding for the past year.”The press freedom organisation added: “Subjecting ailing people to such treatment, or rather lack of treatment, is to kill them slowly. The gesture we are waiting for from the authorities is not a political one. It is purely humanitarian. The dialogue which Spanish foreign minister Miguel Ángel Moratinos has begun with the Cuban government should focus on this emergency situation.”The state of health of Hernández, who is serving a 25-year sentence imposed during the “Black Spring” crackdown of March 2003, is becoming more and more alarming, says his wife, Yaraí Reyes. She found him in very poor shape when she visited him on 21 June. He weighed just 53 kilos. His ailments include severe intestinal problems that prevent him eating normally. He also has tuberculosis for which he is not getting the necessary treatment. He has refused to eat several times since 4 March. Reyes requested a special medical release permit on his behalf on 7 July 2006. Without success.Pedro Argüelles Morán, a journalist serving a 20-year prison sentence, went on hunger strike on 16 June for the right to have the medicines which his family bring him. He was arrested in 2003 at his home in the central city of Ciego de Ávila, where he ran the Cooperativa Avileña de Periodistas Independientes (CAPI), a cooperative of independent journalists.The prison authorities on the southwestern Isla de la Juventud have been refusing to give independent journalist Fabio Prieto Llorente the treatment he needs for serious pulmonary complications since 10 June. His family says he was hospitalised in May with acute pains in the chest and back and low blood pressure, but the authorities returned him to prison before he had completed all the necessary medical tests. Prieto, who is from Isla de la Juventud, has been serving a 20-year sentence since the “Black Spring.”José Ubaldo Izquierdo Hernández of the Grupo de Trabajo Decoro news agency is currently in Guanajay prison in Havana province, where he is serving a 16-year sentence imposed in 2003. He is in very poor health and was hospitalised for two weeks in February for circulation problems that caused severe cramping. The doctors prescribed a strict diet that excluded the standard prison food. The prison authorities ignored their recommendation.Independent journalist Víctor Rolando Arroyo Carmona has been waiting for months for a dentist to repair two broken teeth. After repeated requests, the prison authorities let him have a mouth X-ray but nothing else, his wife, Elsa González, said. He also has high blood pressure but the prison authorities claim they do not have a way to measure it. Arrested on 18 March 2003 at his home in the western city of Pinar del Río, Arroyo is serving a 26-year sentence (one of the longest imposed on a journalist).The health of José Luis García Paneque, the head of Libertad, an independent news agency based in the eastern town of Las Tunas, has also deteriorated in prison. Held in Las Mangas, near his home town, he was taken to a hospital in Bayamo with severe abdominal pains in June and doctors reportedly found a kidney cyst. His weight has fallen from 86 to 50 kilos because of an intestinal ailment. He has been serving a 24-year sentence since 2003.Pablo Pacheco Avila, a journalist with the CAPI cooperative who has seen serving a 20-year sentence since April 2003, was returned to prison on 9 June 2006 after 52 days of intensive treatment in the Ciego de Ávila provincial hospital. He was hospitalised again on 26 April of this year for surgery to his right knee.A political and trade union activist and correspondent in Colón (in Matanzas province) for the news agency Patria, Iván Hernández Carrillo, began a hunger strike on 25 June in “Guamajal Hombres” prison because he is being mistreated by his guards. He is serving a 25-year sentence.Cuba’s prisons are currently holding 25 dissident journalists, 20 of whom were arrested during the “Black Spring” and were given sentences ranging from 14 to 27 years in jail. After China, Cuba has been the world’s second biggest prison for journalists since 2003. RSF_en Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet Reporters Without Borders fears for the safety of Cuba’s imprisoned journalists after a dissident died in a cell on 24 June. The organisation is also worried about their health and calls on the authorities to release them on medical grounds. One ailing journalist, Normando Hernández González, requested a medical release a year ago and is still waiting for a response. Organisation to go further RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago Receive email alerts News Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Cuba New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council October 15, 2020 Find out more News News CubaAmericas CubaAmericas News October 12, 2018 Find out more
NewsEducationLimerick colleges to provide new apprenticeship programmesBy Editor – December 9, 2017 3614 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email TAGSapprenticeshipsengineeringfilm industryhairdressinglean sigma managementMaria Byrnequantity surveyingRichard Brutonsoftware system designsupply chain managementTroy Studios Linkedin Advertisement Facebook WhatsApp STEPS Engineers Week kicking off in Limerick this weekend Top employer award for Limerick engineering group Troy Studios expansion set to reap benefits for region Ahead of International Women in Engineering Day, Engineers Ireland calls for students to consider CAO options Cook Medical continues to support STEM in Limerick schools Twitter Print Sinn Féin is seeking more apprenticeship courses.Nine of the 26 new apprenticeship programmes announced by Education Minister Richard Bruton yesterday have been awarded to Limerick third level education providers.The new programmes range from range from engineering and lean sigma management to hairdressing, quantity surveying, software system design and supply chain management.Fine Gael Senator Maria Byrne, who is the party’s Seanad spokesperson on education and skills said she was delighted that nearly half of the new apprenticeship programmes will be provided at the University of Limerick, Limerick Institute of Technology and the Limerick and Clare Educational Training Board (LCETB).Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “Having served on each of the institutions Governing Authority Boards, I understand very well that each institution is very capable of expanding their apprenticeship programmes,” she added.“The Government is committed to more than doubling the number of new apprentices registered to 9,000 by 2020 and expanding further into new areas. Budget 2018 allocated €122 million for apprenticeship training, an increase of almost 24 per cent on the previous year. This will allow the Government to deliver ten more apprenticeship programmes and over 6,000 more apprenticeship registrations next year”Limerick Fine Gael Senator Maria Byrne“Minister Bruton has an objective to expand apprenticeships and traineeships in the period to 2020. He wants to ensure apprenticeships are an attractive path for people to take. Apprenticeships and traineeships give an exciting career path for many young people. As well as modernising existing apprenticeships Minister Bruton is also focused on supporting the development of new programmes.“I hope to see the development of more apprenticeship programmes for the film industry in our third level institutions in Limerick. I want to ensure Troy Studios have the qualified people here in Limerick so it can continue to expand its productions,” she declared.More education news here Previous articleChildren benefitting from Limerick family support serviceNext articleLimerick honour for Jedward at opening of new SVP charity shop Editor Regeneron advises students to focus on STEM subjects
News By News Highland – October 23, 2014 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Twitter WhatsApp Pinterest Google+ Donegal TD questions if the Dáil should debate issues raised by Mairia Cahill Facebook 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Previous articleQuigley doubt for Ulster club first roundNext articleKilcoyne feels Noamh Conaill will have to step it up for Glenswilly News Highland Google+ Pinterest A Donegal TD’s questioning why a Dáil debate is to be held into the issues raised by Mairia Cahill.The Taoiseach agreed to the move yesterday following a request from Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin.But Thomas Pringle says he’s not sure the Dáil is the place for such a debate:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/14prinCAH.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. WhatsApp Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Facebook 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic
Message* Contact Kevin Sun Share via Shortlink Clockwise from top left: Seattle, Boston and New York City (Photo Illustration by Kevin Rebong for The Real Deal)Real estate prices in the U.S. have risen at a steady pace since the last recession, and even a pandemic didn’t slow things down much in 2020, according to a new report. But your mileage may vary depending on the asset class you’re interested in.Real Capital Analytics’ US National All-Property Index ended 2020 up 7.3 percent year-over-year, with a late surge following a mid-year slowdown. Growth was particularly strong for industrial and multifamily properties, which rose by 8.8 and 8.3 percent, respectively. Office prices rose by just 1.5 percent, and retail prices fell 4.3 percent“In looking at the performance by property subtypes in 2020, it is clear the pandemic that hit the U.S. in early March had a sweeping negative effect on deal volume, with each subsector posting year-over-year declines,” RCA’s latest report states. “Pricing, on the other hand, has shown more variance, with some sectors faring much better than others.”ADVERTISEMENTThe spread between prices in the six major metros identified by RCA (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Boston, and San Francisco) and the rest of the country increased to its largest point in nearly a decade. While the price index in the six major metros increased by 3.7 percent, the growth rate for all other markets was more than double that, at 7.8 percent.Growth in non-major metros has slightly outpaced that of major cities over the past cycle. The price index for the former rose 113 percent over the past decade, while that of the latter increased by 108 percent.On both the commercial and multifamily fronts, Manhattan prices suffered the most, according to RCA’s data. New York’s outer boroughs also saw slight declines, while its suburbs experienced positive growth.Through the first three quarters of 2020, Manhattan was also the most liquid property market in the U.S., and third worldwide behind only Paris and Berlin, according to a separate RCA report. The borough’s liquidity nevertheless hit a 10-year low, and was down 5.1 percent year-over-year at the end of Q3.Meanwhile, despite some optimism due to the roll out of Covid-19 vaccinations, property prices could still take a beating if current financial pressures lead to more distressed asset sales, which so far account for just 1 percent of total volume.“Nobody wants to take a loss on what is expected to be a temporary dislocation to income from the Covid-19 economic disruptions. … To the extent that they can, borrowers and lenders will continue to paper over problems in line with this optimism,” RCA senior vice president Jim Costello wrote in a report this month.“Still, even with anticipation of a temporary dislocation, some investors and lenders will not be able to hold on even with the finish line for the pandemic in sight,” he added.Read moreNY falls behind Dallas, LA in CRE investment as deals surge nationwideReport shows how much commercial real estate has fallen Full Name* Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink TagsCommercial Real EstateCoronavirusTRD Insights Email Address*
Batesville, In. — The first college application deadline on the horizon, WallettHub has released a study identifying “2019’s Best College & University Rankings.” The rankings are nationwide and broken down by region.A link to the complete study is here.