Betty Burkhart Allen, age 79, passed away on April 24, 2020. She was born on July 4, 1940, in Brookville, IN to the late Robert and Pauline Burkhart. She graduated from Brookville High School in 1958. During her first year of high school, while cheering for the Brookville Greyhounds, she met her high school sweetheart and lifetime love, Charles Allen, and enjoyed 58 years of marriage. They had 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 3 great-grandchildren.Betty was a homemaker and a member of St. Michael Parish. In addition to caring for her family, she enjoyed volunteering her time at St. Michael’s School working with children. She held the role of librarian, Brownie leader, and classroom aide throughout the years, and the highlight of her days was running into students in the community and having them run up to give her a hug.Those who knew Betty would describe her as a creative soul. She loved sewing clothes for her children as they were growing up. Her family is blessed to have many dolls and baskets in their homes that were crafted by Betty. She also loved spending hours working in her beautiful flower gardens. Although not a professional, everyone enjoyed the delicious dishes she cooked up, especially her desserts.Betty (Granny) was always happiest when she was surrounded by her grandkids. They were her “Sunshine, her only Sunshine,” and she sang that song to them often. She even commented on her last day how happy she was to have a visit from the grandkids.Betty is survived by her husband, Charles; children, Tonya (Lester) Beesley, April (Shane) Huber, Leah (Mike) Dooley, and Jason (Caroline) Allen; grandchildren Courtney & Ross Beesley, Dylan & Abby Huber, Ryan, Quinn & Sage Dooley, and Jade, Carson & Will Allen, as well as great-grandchildren, Kionna Hauk and Jackson & Tyler Beesley; 3 brothers, Donald, Charles & John Burkhart; and 5 sisters, Dorothy Burkhart, Sr. Andre (Patricia) Burkhart, Mary Strohmier, Linda Grocox, and Debbie Pierce. Besides her parents, she was preceded in death by her brother, Bill Burkhart, as well as an infant brother, Harold.
Ray Maota Doctors who need valuable surgicalexperience can get it through AfricaHealth Placement.(Image: AHP)MEDIA CONTACTS• Retha GrobbelaarAHP: Media and Public Relations+ 27 11 328 1316Africa Health Placements (AHP) is a non-profit organisation determined to support and enhance healthcare systems in South Africa by finding, placing and retaining healthcare workers in rural and underserved areas.The organisation came about in 2005 to counter the brain drain that South Africa in particular was experiencing in the public health sector. A large number of medical professionals were pursuing private sector opportunities in some of the world’s more lucrative industries.Over 2 000 healthcare workers have been placed so far in predominantly rural areas, with almost half of these being local professionals.AHP gets funding from the US President’s Emergency Plan for Aids Relief; The Atlantic Philanthropies; and leading mining companies Anglo American and De Beers, as well as Discovery Health; West Pharmaceuticals and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.“We work in the public sector and are linked to the national department of health as well as its different provincial departments,” said Retha Grobbelaar, media and public relations officer of AHP.“This is in order to get an idea of where there are shortages of health practitioners and how we can help.”Grobelaar said that they tend to encourage the professionals they meet by reminding them of the reasons they entered into the profession. Their message is one of making a difference: the practitioners get the opportunity to expand on their medical experience and the impact of adjusting to a difference lifestyle means growth for them spiritually and for their careers.“We also try to make their transition smoother by doing administrative work for them like finding them accommodation, schools for those who have children and suitable peers with whom they can relax in their spare time if they need some.”According to AHP, as many as 50% of graduating health professionals in South Africa are likely to emigrate to foreign shores at some point in their career. To add to the woes of the public sector, 75% of those who remain in the country opt for private practice.“Africa’s greatest obstacle in the public (and particularly rural) healthcare environment is the lack of qualified professionals,” said Grobelaar.“Our aim is to fill the gaps, and ultimately to help people view the public health sector in a new light – as a truly viable and exciting career option.”Health practitioners who are recruited and placed within the AHP programme receive the standard government salaries for their work.Recruitment and placingThe programme offers a variety of contracts for professionals, ranging from permanent to part-time and voluntary placements.The processes are governed within the standards set by regulatory bodies such as the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) and the Foreign Workforce Management Programme.According to AHP, citizens from economically developed countries not on the G77 list – a coalition of 132 nations, all UN members, of which 77 are founding members of the group – may be called upon to write a proficiency examination if they would like to work in South Africa, depending on the country in which the qualification was issued.On the other hand, AHP has a policy of not recruiting candidates from G77 countries if those countries have a similarly desperate need for qualified professionals. The exception here is for those who would operate under a refugee status. The policy is in line with standards of the HPCSA.For local doctors applying for placement, permanent positions are available at levels one to three in public hospitals as well as in the NGO sector. Volunteer and temporary placements are also available.Requirements for foreign health practitioners applying can be found here.The great stories from doctors already placedDr Andrei Kirpichnikov from the Ukraine came to South Africa in 2007 seeking to further his surgical experience.After spending a year at the Tugela Ferry Hospital in rural KwaZulu-Natal, about three hours from Durban, he found another post at the East London Hospital Complex in the Eastern Cape.“I am definitely a better doctor now. I came to be trained and to do surgical procedures and I ended up staying,” said Kirpichnikov.Asked to give advice for doctors seeking experience in their field, Kirpichnikov described the experience as a unique opportunity.“There are wonderful hospitals, and if you are looking for experience, or if you want to be supervised, you will find it here. If you want to work independently in a rural setting, you will also find that.”Doctors Jenness Cameron from the UK and Anne Brouha from the US came to South Africa in August 2011. They hope to leave a successful ARV programme behind in the rural clinics surrounding the Rietvlei Hospital in KwaZulu-Natal when they leave South Africa at the end of June 2012.The two have been establishing ARV services in Rietvlei by training two nurses at each of its 13 clinics on how to administer ARV treatment.Cameron said: “HIV rates in rural KZN are very high. We’ve put hundreds on treatment and there are always more who desperately need it.”She also found the experience rewarding, especially the opportunity to train the local nurses.“You feel like you are leaving something behind that will carry on. You are not just seeing patients. It’s been an amazing experience and I love working with the people,” said Cameron.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Continued wet conditions hamper field workWhile some areas of the state are still too waterlogged, some areas were dry enough for fieldwork until heavy rains over the weekend, according to Cheryl Turner, Ohio State Statistician with the USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service.There were 3.6 days suitable for fieldwork for the week ending July 23rd. Some fields are showing damage from too much rain, particularly soybean fields with yellowing and some plant death. Growers were also having difficulty cutting hay, harvesting wheat, spraying fields, and spreading manure. Some growers resorted to aerial application of fungicides and pesticides. Wheat harvest moved closer to completion, but quality issues were found in the wake of the warm wet weather of late.Click here for the full report
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Mayweather to quit for good after McGregor bout Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR LATEST STORIES MOST READ Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend READ: Paul George heading to Thunder, Griffin stays with Clippers – reportsAccording to Lee Jenkins of Sports Illustrated, Durant had nothing but kind words for his former franchise.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“KD was like, ‘That place will blow you away,’” George, who reached out to former Thunder players to get an idea of the franchise, revealed. ‘They can offer what other teams can’t in terms of the people and the preparation and the facility, down to the chefs and the meals.’Contrary to the supposed animosity he has with some of his former OKC teammates, Durant made sure to praise the city he played for in his first nine seasons in the league. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games “He was pretty high on them. He thought it was a first-class organization in every way,” George said.Meanwhile, the former Indiana Pacers superstar also publicly addressed his change of teams for the first time.“There’s no right way to handle it,” he told the news outlet. ”I get the frustration. I get why people are upset. But at the same time, I want the average fan to understand that we only get a small window to play this game and more than anything you want to be able to play for a championship.”He added: “I love Indiana. That will always be a special place for me and I’m sorry for not holding on. But I wasn’t sure we’d ever get a team together to compete for a championship and that’s where all this came from.” Khristian Ibarrola /raADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant (52) guards Indiana Pacers’ Paul George during the USA Basketball Showcase game Friday, Aug. 1, 2014, in Las Vegas. APKevin Durant’s departure from the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Golden State Warriors still leaves a sour taste in most people’s mouths.Over a year since his decision, the reigning NBA Finals MVP still relishes his time with the organization, as evidenced by him putting in a good word for the team’s newest dynamic wing player, Paul George.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera View comments
Playing down the rift between the Congress and the NCP over the ‘number two’ slot in the government, Defence Minister A. K Antony said in Mumbai on Saturday that there was no hierarchy in the Union Cabinet.Antony was in the city for the commissioning of new stealth frigate INS Sahayadri for the Indian navy. His comments came amid reports that NCP boss and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar is sulking after Antony was promoted to the number 2 slot following Pranab Mukherjee’s exit.When asked who was senior in the Cabinet, Antony said: “There is no junior or senior cabinet minister. All are equal.”
Milos Raonic served his way into the third round of the Australian Open on Thursday with a pulsating 6-7(4), 7-6(6), 7-6(11), 7-6(5) victory against former champion Stan Wawrinka.In one of the best matches of the opening rounds, the 196 cm (6.43 ft) Canadian repeatedly served his way out of trouble against an opponent armed with an elegant as well as destructive single-handed backhand.The reserved Canadian raised his fists in triumph after his Swiss opponent misfired on his forehand on match point after four hours of intense play.Raonic, seeded 16, will play Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the third round.Always a pleasure, @stanwawrinka #AusOpen pic.twitter.com/97Ub8jrklk#AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 17, 2019NISHIKORI’S GREAT ESCAPEKei Nishikori made another great escape at the Australian Open on Thursday, surviving a second five-set battle and 59 aces from Ivo Karlovic to squeeze into the third round.The Japanese eighth seed was lucky just to be facing the big-serving Croat, having been two sets down in his opener against qualifier Kamil Majchrzak before the Pole suffered muscle cramping and retired mid-way through the fifth.Against Karlovic, however, Nishikori squandered a two-set lead before closing out a tense tiebreak to prevail 6-3, 7-6(6), 5-7, 5-7, 7-6(7) on a sweltering day at Margaret Court Arena.Dripping sweat, the former U.S. Open finalist slumped to his knees in relief, having had to save three break points at 4-4 in the fifth set to prevent towering 39-year-old Karlovic from serving for the match.What it means to survive an #AusOpen 2R five-set thriller pic.twitter.com/mYWHaEDr5oadvertisement#AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 17, 2019The first Asian man to ever contest a Grand Slam final, Nishikori joked that Karlovic served as many aces in the match as he would manage in a year.”Even after a few sets he was serving still really well, and there was, yeah, too many aces and (it was) frustrating, too, you know, for my side,” he told reporters.”I (would) rather do three sets, but today he was playing well, and first match, too, the guy was playing really solid.”I could (have) lost these two matches. So yeah, I just need to recover well. But, I mean, it’s only two matches, so I’m not too tired yet.”The 2014 U.S. Open finalist will nonetheless feel lucky to be alive, having squandered a 6-3 lead in the final tiebreak which has a new first-to-10 points format.Karlovic was also wasteful, thumping a regulation volley into the net that would have put him within two points of victory.The 6ft-11in (2.11m) Croat, the oldest man in the second round at Melbourne Park in over 40 years, was unable to serve his way out of trouble and Nishikori nosed in front with a searing return that proved too much for the net-rushing Karlovic’s lunging backhand.Having watched the ball fly past him 59 times from serving machine Karlovic, Nishikori closed out the match with two big first serves of his own, both down the ‘T’, to set up a clash with unseeded Portuguese Joao Sousa.A three-times quarter-finalist at Melbourne Park, Nishikori will hope to ride the wave of support from the army of travelling Japanese fans who chanted his name throughout the Karlovic match.”I feel more support here,” he said when asked to compare the four Grand Slams.”You can tell there are so many Japanese. And also many Asians. I’m sure I feel more comfortable playing this Grand Slam than (any) other Grand Slam.”Also Read | Madison Keys, Elina Svitolina advance to third roundAlso Read | Dhoni, Shaw and Bencic with Federer shine in #10YearChallengeAlso Read | Andy Murray slams Britain Lawn Tennis Association for failing to build on his success