A man who has been diagnosed with stage four cancer and given 18-months to live has revealed the outpouring support he has received from the Donegal community over the last several months. Francis Donnelly, 49, is a local musician who travelled around Ireland performing before he received the devastating news that he said ‘broke’ his family’s heart.For several years, Donnelly received treatment for a lesion on the brain that was of ‘no great concern’ before going for his final scan of the year on Christmas week 2018. Following the revelation from his partner, Edel, to his consultant, Donnelly attended a brain scan after revealing he had been suffering from an erratic movement in his left eye.On January 31, Donnelly, who lives just outside Ballybofey, was told that a stage four cancer tumour had developed on the brain and there was nothing they could do for him.“I had no symptoms, all I had was a flicker on the left eye,” he said. “I had a lesion on the front of the brain and they thought that it could start multiple sclerosis. So, I kept going for my scans every six months and there was no change whatsoever and I went to see my consultant and he was happy.“He said that he had noticed that I previously lost power on my left-hand side but it had returned, by that stage I was playing more music. I had thrown myself back into it and I was playing steady, the relay for life, every possible charity gig I could. “He was happy and wanted to do one more scan and I told me I wouldn’t have to see him again. And it was just as I was jumping off the table, my partner Edel said to tell him about the flicker in your eye.”Mr Donnelly explained how the initial problem started when he began playing local gigs around the county were lights would cause a flicker of the eye or an irregular blind spot.“When I told the doctor he immediately said he would like to take a look and so they sent for me on Christmas week.“When I heard that, I told my partner that I wasn’t going on the week of Christmas because she had to bury a grandchild the year before and I didn’t want to destroy Christmas again but, they sent for me on the 20th of December.“I got the scan and then I went back and I remember walking in and they couldn’t find my file and I heard the girl saying that it was in with the oncology department and I said to the girl did I hear correctly and she told me I hadn’t. “But I later walked into the room and the doctor was there and she told me what I had and explained how they had discussed my case and if it was what they thought it was, a tumour, that they couldn’t do nothing for me.“Nothing, no hope.“And I thought Fu**ing hell, it was like being hit with a sledgehammer,” Donnelly said.Francis soon underwent surgery five weeks ago on February 6 to determine what treatment was viable and what could potentially shrink the tumour or lengthen the time he had left. “They told me that I was going to have an operation and what they were going to do was to go in and take a sample of the tumour to see what they were dealing with.“And tell me what treatment was available for me at this stage and what would buy me some extra time.“But they warned me before I underwent the operation that I could come out blind, paralysed or, because the blood vessels were all through the tumour, that I could bleed out and die on the table.“Well, I just looked at her in disbelief. One minute I could be bought time, the next I could die.“All I could do was laugh at that moment,” he said.“I have come out of it now and I have all my faculties about me and when I was in the hospital I see people who are worse than me, younger people, so I count myself fortunate.”While the original plan was to take a sample of the tumour, the surgeon in charge managed to remove most of the cancerous growth from Donnelly’s brain as he prepares to under further treatment for the disease in Belfast today.“She has most of the tumour removed and all that is left now is residue but, the only problem is, it is aggressive and at times things start to take their toll on me. I can’t do what I was once able to do.”Life for Francis and his family has been difficult over the last three and a half months but he stressed at times all you can do is stay positive and believe that he will beat the life-threatening disease.“All you can do is stay positive,” Donnelly explained. “I count myself lucky because I was able to get up and hug my surgeon and thank her for the work that she was able to do for me.“But then as you walk around the hospital and see these young people who have very little quality of life and have not been as lucky as I have been, and I have 49-years over me, that puts it really into perspective,” Donnelly added.“I think about that and all I can do is stay positive and I even wanted to get back to my music the weekend after my surgery but they told me I couldn’t perform so soon after my operation.“But I went back to have a meeting with them about it and I told them that I wanted to continue with my music and they agreed that I could perform as much as I liked before my next stage of treatment started on March 26th.“I played two gigs on Paddy’s night and it was the worst thing I ever have done,” Donnelly laughed.“I thought to myself, I should have listened to my doctor.“I felt so vulnerable, my vision was blurred and I couldn’t even play the chords correctly and that would’ve never have happened before in my life.“I felt like a child because I needed someone to tell me what to do next, I needed Edel.“That’s all I have left, my music, and I can’t bear to have that taken away from me.“I can’t drive anymore, Edel has to do all the driving and I can’t even fill out a form because I can’t see the thing. All I have left is music.”After revealing the news to the wider community, Donnelly’s music colleagues decided to put together a fundraising show to support the local artist with his treatment.“All the people that I would’ve played with on the social dancing scene decided to put this event together for me and it has just got bigger and bigger as I prepare to start my treatment.“I had thoughts of cancelling the event because I am about to start it but I came around and I decided to go ahead and enjoy the celebration with all of my music friends.“I am really looking forward to it and will be a good nights craic and the banter will be great, that is what life is about.“The amount of support I have received over the past couple of months has been incredible,” he added. “From people I have never met in my life to Daniel O’Donnell, the support and words of encouragement have been incredible.“So, the proceeds will go towards my treatment but I want to give money to a cancer charity.”Despite his difficulties, Donnelly is adamanat that the cancer would not stop him from doing things close to his heart.“On Sunday, I took another notion and I want to climb Mount Errigal this year and whatever I make I am going to donate to relay for life and for autism.“So, I ain’t going to let it stop me and Edel’s little boy who has autism always put a smile on my face and he lights up my whole world.“We spend a lot of time together and he makes me laugh.“I told Edel I can’t leave him because I need him more than he needs me because no matter how bad things are, the minute I walk into the room he makes everything go away.“I won’t give up.”The Fundraising Dance for Francis Donnelly will take place this Thursday night (March 28th) in Biddy Friels, at 7:30pm with musicians including Johnny Carroll, John Hogan and Olivia Douglas playing on the night. TV personality Paddy Doherty, magician Dylan Murray and local radio presenter Tommy Rosney will also all be in attendance. Power of music helping cancer battler to fight life threatening brain tumour was last modified: March 27th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Brain tumourcancerFrancis Donnelly
Ryk Neethling achieved the feat for two years running, in 2005 and 2006, while Roland Schoeman finished runner-up to Neethling in 2005. 18 victoriesThere was also success for South African Kathryn Meaklim in the women’s competition; she finished third in the overall standings, which was worth $30 000, after winning 18 events throughout the series. She also picked up six silvers and two bronzes, making her the winner of the most women’s medals. Gold, silver, bronzeHe completed a haul of all three medals on offer with third place in the 200 metes freestyle in a personal best time of 1:43.19. Melloulli took second, while Germany’s Paul Bierdermann powered to victory in 1:40.83 seconds to eclipse the world record that had previously belonged to Australian legend Ian Thorpe. The depth and the high level of performances by South African swimmers throughout the World Cup series was on show at the final event in Berlin. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material The 30-year-old was second in the 100 butterfly in a fast 58.05 seconds, and also finished second in the 200 butterfly, this time in an African record 2:06.60. Loots claimed a third medal in the 200 individual medley by finishing third. He won 12 medals in total, made up of 10 golds and two bronzes. In addition, Townsend was pipped to the 200 IM title by Olympic 1 500 metres freestyle champion Oussama Mellouli, after a terrific battle which the Tunisian won in 1:52.41, a new African record. Townsend smashed the South African record with his time of 1:52.51 as both men bettered the previous World Cup best. Meaklim’s success was built on her dominance of the 400 metres individual medley, which she won five times, including in a World Cup record 4:27.21 in Stockholm. Cameron van der Burgh continued South Africa’s recent successes in the short-course FINA/Arena Swimming World Cup, claiming the men’s overall title after the conclusion of the 2008 series in Berlin on the weekend. Meaklim picked up a victory in the 400 metres individual medley, finishing close to five seconds clear of second placed Emma Smithurst, while veteran Mandy Loots enjoyed a superb competition. 18 November 2008 Darian Townsend excelled with victory in the 100 metres individual medley in 51.80 seconds – the fastest time recorded for the event throughout the World Cup series. The World Cup record belongs to Ryk Neethling, with a time of 51.52 seconds. His efforts were well rewarded as he pocketed a cheque for $100 000 for his overall victory. On top of that, each individual win was worth $1 500. He then destroyed the 100 metres mark that had belonged to Ed Moses since January 2002, lowering the record from 57.47 seconds to 56.88. Breaststroke doubleVan der Burgh did the 50 and 100 metres double in the breaststroke, clocking 26.05 and 57.32 seconds respectively for two dominating victories. Van der Burgh, a breaststroke specialist, broke three short-course world records during the 2008 series. In Moscow, he clocked 26.08 seconds for the 50 metres to better the previous record of 26.17, set by Oleg Lisogor, which had stood since January 2006. Under the 26-second barrierVan der Burgh’s 50-metre record in Moscow didn’t stand for long, however, as he became the first man to crack the 26-second barrier for the 50 metres a week later in Stockholm, with a sensational time of 25.94 seconds. Lyndon Ferns completed South Africa’s medal haul in Berlin by picking up silver in the men’s 100 metres freestyle in 46.71 seconds. Victory went to Olympic champion Alain Bernard of France.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Revisions to the voluntary Pork Quality Assurance Plus (PQA Plus) 3.0 were announced during World Pork Expo in Des Moines. The updated program reflects pork producers’ commitment to continuous improvement and more fully incorporates the six “We Care” ethical principles and the role of caretakers.New research information has been incorporated to increase the program’s effectiveness and to help ensure its validity with customers and consumers. Pork producers maintain a commitment to providing a safe, high-quality product while promoting animal well-being, environmental stewardship and public health.“PQA Plus demonstrates to our customers our commitment to doing what is right when it comes to raising and caring for pigs and producing pork,” said Stephen Summerlin, senior vice president of live operations for Seaboard Foods. “It also lets our employees on our farms, as well as our supplier partners in raising pigs for our pork brands, know that we have high standards and expectations for food safety and animal care.”The PQA Plus enhancements include:The We Care ethical principles now serve as program chapters.The 10 Good Production Practices are now sub-chapters and align with a caretaker’s daily flow of responsibilities.The site assessment now aligns with the Common Swine Industry Audit.Flexibility in the program allows for customization and alignment with an farm’s standard operating procedures.Online training is divided into 14 individual modules that range from 2 to 14 minutes.To help prepare for the implementation of FDA guidance 209 and 213 on Jan. 1, 2017, a new 12-page Responsible Antibiotics Use Guide accompanies the new version of PQA Plus.“PQA Plus has been and still is the heart of our industry’s commitment to doing what’s right for people, pigs and our planet,” said Jan Archer, National Pork Board incoming president and a pork producer from Goldsboro, North Carolina. “This program is the standard that pork producers have endorsed since 1989. Through this program, we earn the credibility from our consumers.”For more information on the revised PQA Plus program, visit pork.org/certifications.
We’ve rounded up 10 free smoke stock videos for your video editing and motion graphics projects!Whether you’re needing footage for compositing or simply building your library, these 10 smoke stock videos are sure to help with your future projects.To utilize these smoke clips in programs such as After Effects, Final Cut Pro X or Premiere Pro, simply place the smoke video above your composition and set the transfer (or blending) mode to screen.Messing around with other transfer modes can create some pretty cool effects as well. For example if you were to set your transfer mode to multiply only the areas in the smoke will appear. If you have any other questions regarding transfer and blending modes with Adobe products visit Adobe’s website.Also – See our previous post Free HD Stock Video: Smoke EffectsNow onto the free smoke effects…To download this free smoke stock footage visit Ro Tierney’s Vimeo page and click the download box:To download this free smoke video clip visit Elysian’s Vimeo page and click the download box:Video Copilot offers 25 free smoke stock effects to download on their website:To download go to Peder Norrby’s Vimeo page and click the download link:Digital Meals DownloadsDigital Meals has put up links to download a ton of free smoke video clips over on their site. Check out 6 below and hop on over to their site to download all 23. Also, be sure to check out their free smoke billow videos and smoke wisp clips.To download any of the free smoke clips below right click the download links and select “Save Link As…”Download link Download linkDownload link Download linkDownload linkDownload link Looking for more smoke effects? Check out the Fume Smoke Effects Library at RocketStock.