US – #WeeklyAddress: November 12 – November 18: White House officials say they will suspend Jim Acosta’s press pass again
SAUL LOEB / AFP June 3, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts June 7, 2021 Find out more RSF_en White House officials sent CNN’s Chief White House Correspondent Jim Acosta a letter on November 16 saying they will suspend his press pass at the expiration of the temporary restraining order CNN had won in court earlier that day. The temporary restraining order immediately restored press credentials the White House had revoked from Acosta on November 7, though this order is set to expire after 14 days. This ruling, which is the first a federal judge has made in the lawsuit CNN filed against the White House on November 13, was granted in favor of the media organization’s argument that the White House violated Acosta’s Fifth Amendment due process rights. In his daily newsletter, CNN’s Brian Stelter suggested the White House may now be trying to create a “paper trail” that could pass for due process. CNN responded to this in a statement: “The White House is continuing to violate the First and 5th Amendments of the Constitution. These actions threaten all journalists and news organizations. Jim Acosta and CNN will continue to report the news about the White House and the President.” Stelter reported that CNN has since filed new papers with the court in order to proceed with their request for a preliminary injunction to prevent future revocation of Acosta’s credentials and protect other reporters from similar retaliation. The judge emphasized on November 16 that he was not yet ruling on First Amendment claims CNN made against the White House. In oral arguments on November 14, White House lawyers argued President Donald Trump can exclude any reporter from the White House, and that there is “no First Amendment right … for journalists to be there.” Below are the most notable incidents regarding threats to press freedom in the US during the week of November 12 – November 18: President Trump lambasted the “fake news media” during an interview with FOX News’ Chris Wallace on November 18, calling reporting on him “fake” and “disgusting.” When Wallace told President Trump he is seen around the world as a “beacon for repression,” the president responded, “The news about me is largely phony,” and that news organizations use many made-up sources in their reporting on him. Later in the interview, President Trump claimed: “Fake reporting is what’s tearing this country apart.” The president’s antagonistic relationship with the press recently escalated when the White House suspended CNN’s Jim Acosta press pass after a November 7 press conference. News Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Help by sharing this information FBI tells journalists pipe bomb suspect googled them prior to his arrest News News For the latest updates, follow RSF on twitter @RSF_en. President Trump criticizes “fake news” during FOX interview NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say United StatesAmericas United StatesAmericas to go further The United States ranks 45th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index after falling 2 places in the last year. Follow the news on United States White House officials say they will suspend Jim Acosta’s press pass again WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists At least two journalists tweeted last week that the FBI notified them Cesar Sayoc, the man who was charged with sending pipe bombs to CNN and several well-known critics of President Donald Trump, had googled their names prior to his arrest. Jenny Jarvie, a Los Angeles Times reporter based in Atlanta, wrote on November 14 that she had received “a visit from two special agents for the FBI who informed [her] that Cesar Sayoc, the suspected pipe bomber, conducted searches of [her] name before he was arrested. Fellow reporters, be vigilant!” A day later, Los Angeles Times reporter Eli Stokols retweeted Jarvie’s statement, writing: “Just got a call from an FBI agent telling me the same.” Authorities have reported since his arrest that Sayoc had created a potential target list with names of more than 100 politicians, journalists, and entertainers. News Organisation November 19, 2018 US – #WeeklyAddress: November 12 – November 18: White House officials say they will suspend Jim Acosta’s press pass again April 28, 2021 Find out more
Print Facebook Linkedin Advertisement Twitter WhatsApp TWO people remain in custody after gardai stopped a car with two people on the outskirts of Gort, Co Galway this Tuesday in which half a million euro worth of drugs were seized. The haul is as a result of a joint operation between the Garda National Drugs Unit, Galway Gardai, and Revenue’s Customs Service. It is part of investigations into organised crime gangs in Limerick and Galway.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up During the course of the search, seven kilos of cocaine (subject to analysis) with an estimated street value of €500,000 were seized. Two people were arrested a male 39yrs and a 24 yr old female. Both are being detained in Galway Garda Station under the provisions of Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act 1996 as amended.As part of a follow up operation Gardai searched two houses in Moycullen, Co.Galway.€100,000 in cash was recovered in one of the houses.The two people arrested in relation to the drugs seizure remain in custody and the operation is on going. Email NewsLocal NewsTwo held in connection with cocaine seizureBy admin – November 2, 2010 516 Previous articleStork celebrates 90 Years at the heart of home bakingNext articleChamber back Brosnan report admin
Congratulations to the GLD winners, Katherine and Aoife, for their outstanding success in winning their categories and to Jonathan for being short-listed in his category. As a member of the judging panel I was, of course, scrupulously neutral (I played no part in the shortlisting) and found the standard of entries to be high right across the employed bar. I am particularly proud of all our GLD finalists, who exemplify the brilliant work we do in GLD. Two GLD lawyers have won prestigious accolades at the Bar Council Employed Bar Awards. The winners were announced at a ceremony held at the Imperial War Museum in London, on Friday 29 June.Top awardKatherine Willerton from the Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU) Legal Advisers team was named ‘Employed barrister of the year’ for her work on the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill. Katherine is the deputy team leader in the Legislation team of 12 lawyers who worked with ministers and officials to produce the Bill and get it through Parliament. The nomination referred to her drive and resilience as well as her ‘superb legal analysis and advice’. She was recognised for her substantial contribution to the rewriting of the UK constitution, in circumstances of political controversy and sensitivity.Outstanding achievementAoife Drudy who works in the Home Office Legal Advisers (HOLA) team has won the award for ‘Outstanding achievement by a public service barrister’. She has been the lead lawyer advising the Northern Ireland Office on the EU Exit negotiations and led on technical discussions with the EU Commission and Irish Government The nomination said her legal skills and practical advice have been widely admired across government, making her an essential component of the UK’s negotiating team.Further finalistA third GLD lawyer, Jonathan Orde, was one of the finalists in the ‘Young employed barrister of the year’ category. The nomination, sent in on his behalf, speaks of his contribution to increasing advocacy opportunities in GLD and the fact that as a direct result of the success he had in court as a pupil, all GLD pupils undertake advocacy during their second 6 secondment to Chambers.High standardTreasury Solicitor, Jonathan Jones was on the judging panel and said he was highly impressed by the standard of the entries in this, only the second year of the Employed Bar Awards: The full list of those shortlisted and all category winners can be found on the Bar Council website.
Read Full Story The U.S. health sector and the health of Americans will suffer numerous adverse effects from budget “sequestration,” writes Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) health care policy expert John McDonough in a March 20, 2013 article in the New England Journal of Medicine. Under this “sequestration”—the result of the inability of Congress and President Barack Obama to agree by March 1, 2013 on a plan to reduce the national budget deficit—the budget must be trimmed across-the-board in most federal agencies by $85 billion for the final seven months of fiscal year 2013.McDonough heads the Center for Public Health Leadership at HSPH and is professor of the practice of public health.Programs to be cut include Medicare funding, which will be trimmed by nearly $12 million through reductions in payments to hospitals, physicians, other health care providers, and some insurers; the National Institutes of Health, facing $1.6 billion in cuts that will delay or halt vital scientific projects; and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which predicts having to significantly cut back HIV tests, immunizations, tuberculosis programs, and other programs that track infections and foodborne disease outbreaks. Other agencies affected include the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which will cut mental health services for adults and children offered through its Mental Health Block Grant program; and the Indian Health Service, which will serve thousands fewer in both inpatient admissions and outpatient visits.
Robbery risk is part of your everyday business. As they say, where there is money, there is often crime.In fact, the FBI reported more than 4,250 financial institutions were robbed last year. While robbers typically complete their heists during office hours, a recent trend of targeting credit unions at opening and closing time has emerged.Those are vulnerable times for many reasons, mainly due to staff being rushed and less aware of their surroundings. Robbers prepare by researching their targets. They study who does what, when, how, and with whom. They’re looking for the weakest links.“Criminals often case their targets to identify lax processes and turn them into prime opportunities,” says Bob Bouvier, risk consultant for CUNA Mutual Group. “Unfortunately, opening and closing have become too routine, making it easier for robbers to figure out.”However, credit unions can thwart robbery attempts by showing signs of being prepared. 12SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »
Giannikopoulos went on to share an important message to the people who “pretend [COVID-19] does not exist,” writing, “In moments like this, lean against each other for support and positivity. Although my symptoms are evident, I am going to fight this and win. I understand so many lives have been impacted and my heart goes out to every single person affected. It’s okay to be nervous, anxious, and feeling uncertain, but just remember we are all in it together.”The travel enthusiast was one of the four suitors who arrived at La Quinta Resort & Club in Palm Springs, California, during Tuesday’s episode of The Bachelorette as Tayshia Adams took over for Clare Crawley, who got engaged to Dale Moss within the first two weeks of production and ended her time as the lead.Tayshia Adams and Peter Giannikopoulos ABC/Craig Sjodin“I couldn’t have asked for, like, a better group of men,” the former phlebotomist, 30, exclusively told Us Weekly on Monday, November 9. “I’ve always said that I want an older, more mature man that has depth, and all of these guys have exactly that. It was, like, perfect.”- Advertisement – The Bachelorette airs on ABC Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET.Given the constantly evolving nature of COVID-19, Us Weekly wants our readers to have access to the most accurate resources. For the most up-to-date coronavirus information, guidance, and support, consult the CDC, WHO, and information from local public health officials. If you’re experiencing coronavirus symptoms, call your primary care provider for medical advice.Listen to Here For the Right Reasons to get inside scoop about the Bachelor franchise and exclusive interviews from contestants Back-to-back stressors. Peter Giannikopoulos, one of the new contestants on The Bachelorette, announced that he tested positive for the novel coronavirus after filming wrapped — and got into a car accident just moments later.“The past 24 hours have truly been some of the hardest in my life,” the real estate adviser, 32, wrote via Instagram on Tuesday, November 10. “Yesterday I tested positive for Covid and have begun two week quarantine. I am going through a lot of emotions at the moment with so many thoughts in my head as to how this happened. I felt lousy for a few days but didn’t believe I would contract the virus when I have been wearing a mask in public, washing and sanitizing hands regularly, and following social distancing protocol during work. This is an example no matter who we are or what we do, we are all vulnerable.”- Advertisement – Alongside a shirtless selfie in bed that showed a large cut on his nose, Giannikopoulos continued, “As if the positive news wasn’t bad enough, while driving home from the clinic my anxiety started to get the best of me. As a result of the anxiety, I lost consciousness behind the wheel and my car went off road through a guard rail and hit a pole. The air bag deployed, driver side door was wedged in, broken glass everywhere, and I was 5ft away from smashing into a building.”The Everett, Massachusetts, native briefly lost consciousness and woke up “to people shouting for help” as he slowly began to realize what had happened.“I was in a deep daze and confusion,” he wrote. “I didn’t know where I was, how I got there, or what happened. Luckily I came out of it with only a small gash on my nose. Truly a blessing as I am a firm believer I had angels watching over me.”- Advertisement – – Advertisement –
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
In recent years, Hitchen oversaw a major overhaul of RPMI’s investment structure, establishing an in-house investment team as part of an “investment transformation programme” (ITP). The scheme has also undergone a forensic review of investment costs, resulting in significant savings.Hitchen said: “ITP was a fantastically worthwhile and inspiring programme, which was necessary for us to meet our mission of paying members’ pensions securely, affordably and sustainably in a low-return world. It has been an honour to serve the needs of one-third of a million railway workers and their employers.”Earlier this year Julian Cripps was appointed director of investment business at RPMI Railpen as part of the succession plan. The group’s three investment directors – Ciarán Barr, Paul Bishop, and Richard Williams – now report to Cripps, rather than Hitchen.Hitchen is an influential figure in the UK pensions sector. He chaired the National Association of Pension Funds, now the Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association, from 2007 to 2009, as part of a decade-long tenure with the trade body.During that time he helped establish the Pensions Quality Mark, a kitemark standard for UK defined contribution (DC) funds.In addition, Hitchen was a trustee of NEST, the government’s defined contribution master trust, from 2010 to 2015, and chaired its investment committee for three years.John Chilman, chair of the Railways Pension Trustee Company, said: “I and my fellow Trustee Directors would like to thank Chris for the exceptional service he has given to the railways pension schemes over some nineteen years.“We respect his desire for a fresh challenge and will be announcing our plans for the future leadership of the organisation shortly.” Chris Hitchen is to step down from his role as CEO of RPMI Railpen “within the next year”, the UK pension fund has announced.Hitchen has led the industry-wide scheme for UK railway companies for 13 years, having first joined the group nearly 20 years ago.“I have for some time been working with senior stakeholders on a succession plan for RPMI, and now is the right time to put it into effect,” Hitchen said. “I am confident that I am leaving the organisation, and members’ pensions, in very safe hands.”He joined the now-£25bn (€28.7bn) scheme in 1998 as an investment director. He became CEO in 2004.
Kuldeep Yadav struggled for Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL 2019.Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep both took six wickets against Bangladesh.India will take on South Africa in their opening game on June 5. New Delhi: Kuldeep Yadav was not in great form heading into the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. In nine games for Kolkata Knight Riders in the 2019 Indian Premier League, he took just four wickets at an economy rate of 8.68. In most of the games, he struggled for penetration and could not control the flow of runs. In the first warm-up game against New Zealand, Kuldeep struggled but in the game against Bangladesh, the chinaman picked up 3/47 as India won by 95 runs to build momentum ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. Yuzvendra Chahal, his wrist-spinning partner, said it was a big relief that Kuldeep was taking wickets.“I am so happy the way Kuldeep made a comeback and showed the confidence and it is good for the team ahead of the World Cup. We trust each other. We know each other for the last 7-8 years and we have a good bonding on and off the field. If I bowl first then I talk to him about how the wicket is behaving and he talks to me if he is bowling first. Before a match we always plan, like if can bowl more googlies or sliders to particular batsmen,” Chahal said after he picked up 3/55 against Bangladesh. Chahal was happy with his performance and said with the Indian cricket team posting a big total thanks to centuries from KL Rahul and MS Dhoni, the spinners got far more confidence. “I got to bowl 10 overs. The wicket was not easy for the bowlers and batsmen were attacking. So I, Kuldeep (Yadav) and Jaddu pa (Ravindra Jadeja) tried to vary the pace. Before the World Cup starts if the batsmen give you a big total, obviously, it is a good chance for the bowlers. 350 is very difficult to chase, so you can flight the ball. When you are defending such a total, there is no pressure on the bowlers to start with. There is more pressure on the batsmen because they have to chase 360-370 and they have to hit almost every ball,” Chahal said.India will open their World Cup campaign against South Africa in Southampton on June 5 as Kohli’s team will be bidding to win the trophy for the third time. For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. highlights