一品楼浙江ypl

One inmate killed, 20 alleged provocateurs arrested in North Sulawesi prison riot

Posted on

first_imgA riot that broke out at Manado Penitentiary in North Sulawesi over the weekend has killed one inmate, while another has been hospitalized after being shot by a rubber bullet and 20 alleged provocateurs have been arrested.The riot broke out on Saturday afternoon, allegedly triggered by visitation restrictions and early release of inmates amid COVID-19 concerns, culminating in a massive fire that razed parts of the prison complex.The head of the Law and Human Rights Ministry office in North Sulawesi, Lumaksono, said on Monday that he had got confirmation from the hospital that the cause of death of the inmate was not COVID-19. “When the riot broke out, and the authorities were taking control of the situation, he was shocked. His blood pressure level showed 190,” he said on Monday evening in Manado.Lumaksono added that the inmate was also having difficulty breathing. “It is the temporary result of his autopsy. We’ll figure out the official result 14 days later,” he said.The inmate had been buried at a cemetery in Telling Atas subdistrict, Manado, by the Catholic Church Union.Earlier reports said the inmate was Filipino, but Lumaksono confirmed on Monday that the inmate was an Indonesian citizen from Sangihe – a regency in North Sulawesi. Read also: COVID-19: Riot breaks out in North Sulawesi prison amid virus fearsHe also confirmed that another inmate who had been unintentionally shot by a rubber bullet was in a better condition in the hospital.As soon as the situation had calmed down, North Sulawesi Police arrested at least 20 inmates who had allegedly instigated the riot.“They are now being interrogated by the police,” said North Sulawesi Police public relations division head Sr. Comr. Jules Abbas on Monday, adding that they would be returned to the penitentiary as soon as the investigation had concluded.As of Monday, there had been no official statement from the authorities as to what the cause of the riot was. (asp)Topics :last_img read more

Ex-Trump aide Steve Bannon arrested in border wall fraud case

Posted on

first_imgShortly after the charges were announced the president aimed to distance himself, saying: “Don’t know anything about the project at all.””I think it’s a very sad thing for Mr. Bannon. I think it’s surprising,” Trump said, adding he felt “very badly” and he hasn’t “been dealing with him for a long period.”Manhattan federal prosecutors said Bannon, the organization’s founder Brian Kolfage, venture capitalist Andrew Badolato and Timothy Shea “received hundreds of thousands of dollars in donor funds from We Build the Wall, which they each used in a manner inconsistent with the organization’s public representations.”The initiative began in 2018 as a GoFundMe campaign to raise money organizers said would go towards the border wall Trump had promised during his 2016 campaign, which Bannon orchestrated. Another Trump aide indictment Prior to leading Trump’s 2016 presidential bid, Bannon — a brash, aggressively conservative proponent of US nationalism — headed the far-right outlet Breitbart News.Once a prominent voice in the president’s ear, Bannon was behind some of Trump’s most controversial moves, including his ban on some travelers from abroad and the decision to pull the United States out of the Paris climate change agreement.After frequent clashes with others in the White House including Trump, Bannon was pushed out in August 2017.Half a dozen close Trump associates have been indicted or convicted since he took over the White House, including several key leaders of his 2016 campaign effort.Roger Stone — the president’s longtime ally who was convicted on felony charges including obstructing the congressional Russian collusion probe — was the first person directly involved in Trump’s campaign to receive clemency. Topics : Former top Trump strategist Steve Bannon was arrested and charged Thursday along with three others for defrauding hundreds of thousands of donors in a Mexico border wall fundraising campaign — a blow to the Republican incumbent.The online crowdfunding campaign known as “We Build the Wall” raised more than $25 million, prosecutors said, which the defendants promised would be used on construction but which they instead funneled to their own pockets.The arrest is the latest in a string of high-profile criminal probes into Trump’s inner circle, and comes just months before November’s vote the Republican hopes will win him re-election.center_img One week after launching, the online appeal took in $17 million, which raised suspicions at the crowdfunding  site and prompted it to temporarily shut the campaign down. GoFundMe said organizers would need to identify a legitimate nonprofit where the money was headed or it would be returned.The four men began using both a Bannon-controlled non-profit and a Shea-led shell company, as well as vendor agreements and fake invoices, to conceal their tracks, court documents said.Prosecutors say the men gave repeated false assurances to donors, vowing that all funds raised would go “only directly to wall!!! Not anyone’s pocket.”Kolfage, a 38-year-old based in Florida, at one point even urged donors to purchase coffee from another company he ran, saying it was the only way to keep “his family fed and a roof over their head,” prosecutors said. Hiding their tracks Bannon, 66, publicly called himself a “volunteer” in the operation.Some donors wrote personally to Kolfage saying they were low on funds and skeptical of online fundraising, “but they were giving what they could because they trusted Kolfage would keep his word about how their donations would be spent,” the indictment said.Kolfage — a US Air Force veteran — repeatedly assured them their money was safe, but in fact, prosecutors say he took more than $350,000 for his own use, funding personal expenses including boat payments, a luxury SUV, a golf cart, cosmetic surgery and credit card debt.Badolato, Shea and Bannon each received hundreds of thousands that went to expenses including travel, hotels and consumer goods, according to the documents.Bannon in particular received over $1 million of the donations which he funneled through his non-profit, using some of it to pay Kolfage while a substantial sum lined his own pockets.The men learned their scheme might be under federal criminal investigation in approximately October 2019, when they began crafting additional measures to conceal it, prosecutors said.All four men are charged with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering.last_img read more

Gabriel’s agent reveals Lille star turned down bigger offers to join Arsenal

Posted on

first_img Metro Sport ReporterMonday 24 Aug 2020 11:31 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link5.9kShares Comment Advertisement Gabriel’s agent reveals Lille star turned down bigger offers to join Arsenal Gabriel had offers from Napoli and Manchester United (Photo by Dave Winter/Icon Sport via Getty Images)‘Arsenal was nowhere near the best proposal [money wise],’ Guilherme Miranda told Freddie Paxton of the Guardian. ‘Gabriel chose them over more lucrative offers because Edu convinced us of the project. It’s 100% because of Edu Gaspar and Arteta.’AdvertisementAdvertisementMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityArteta will be buoyed by Gabriel’s decision to join the club and he arrives alongside fellow youngster William Saliba, who signed for the Gunners last summer but stayed on loan at St Etienne.Gunners will be hoping the duo can form a new partnership in the heart of Arsenal’s defence to cure the defensive problems they’ve experienced in recent years.Gabriel will become Arsenal’s second signing of the summer following Willian’s arrival on a free transfer from Chelsea but Arteta hopes to make further additions.Atletico Madrid star Thomas Partey is a leading target, while Arteta may decide on signing another midfielder if Dani Ceballos’ stay is not prolonged. MORE: Malang Sarr agrees to join Chelsea on four-year deal Gabriel is set to sign a five-year deal with Arsenal (Picture: Getty)The agent of Arsenal-bound star Gabriel Magalhaes has revealed the Lille defender turned down more lucrative offers elsewhere in order to move to the Emirates.The Brazilian was at the Gunners’ training ground on Monday to undergo a medical with the club ahead of a £22million move to north London.Arsenal saw off competition from Napoli, Manchester United and Everton for the defender’s signature and the work of Mikel Arteta are said to have been influential in the Brazilian’s decision. The decision was clearly not down solely to finances as Gabriel’s agent has confirmed he could have earned far more elsewhere but for Edu’s work in convincing the Brazilian about the ‘project’ at the club.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisementlast_img read more