The steep rationalisation at Premier (pg 4) was expected – but it’s not over yet! Much of the preliminary action is centred on cake production, with Manor Bakeries moving to Premier’s St Albans site, Avana Cakes integrating with RF Brookes and closure of the cakes division head office at Windsor, together with van sales operation. The mills will be “looked at” in the future, says Premier.Meanwhile, at Bowman’s 150th anniversary, guest speaker and city analyst David Lang of Investec predicted that private equity investment may well transform the milling sector in the future (pg 13). And, he says that, over the last 20 years, the milling industry has moved from being over 80% owned by companies that are integrated downstream into milling/ baking to around 50% today – that’s a very big move.These are difficult times. Raw materials and commodities are suffering steep rises. Last week, we wrote about big increases in flour and butter, but manufacturers are also suffering from milk powder up 35%, soya up 40% and the list goes on. You cannot combat those levels of price rises with efficiency or small price increases – you’d go bust!Tunnock’s of Uddingston, which makes top-selling teacakes with a traditional twist, last week issued its first profits warning in the company’s 117-year history. MD Boyd Tunnock told Scotland on Sunday that, in little over two years, the company has seen water bills treble and gas rates go up by 66% – as well as the rise in raw materials – “the worst situation in my working lifetime”.So understanding is needed at every level of food – right through to retailers and consumers, who have had plenty of chance to read and hear about wheat and other increases and know how their own energy prices have risen.Countering all the uncertainty, Goswell’s Bakery (pg 16), which mainly supplies supermarkets, has carved out a perfect niche. It specialises in wholesale and puts an emphasis on ’natural’, even more than organic. It is extremely focused and has a loyal following.”We like doing difficult things,” says director Colin Lyons about his range, which includes Honey & Oatbran and Sunflower & Barley. Over the past four years, both his listings and sales have increased. He’s timed ’natural’ just right.
British bakers and manufactu-rers have largely been unaffected by the Irish pork contamination issue, but a number of pork products have been recalled as a precautionary measure.On Tuesday 9 December, the FSA released a list of meat processors in the Republic of Ireland affected by the contaminated pork as well as meat companies in England that have received affected pork products.These include Kerry Foods (Manchester) and Northern Foods (Wakefield).A number of firms, including Pukka Pies, Dickinson & Morris, Ginsters and Pork Farms, have confirmed they have been unaffected. However a spokesperson from Goodfellas said its Goodfellas Friday Fever Meateor pizza has been “withdrawn from all major supermarkets in the UK and Ireland as a precaution”.A spokesperson for Tesco said the supermarket had already removed a small number of lines from sale in its British stores and is continuing to review its full product range. Both Asda and Sainsbury’s have put out a list of its recalled products and Waitrose has issued a statement on its website.The full list of meat processors in the Republic of Ireland and affected meat companies in England can be viewed on the FSA’s website www.food.gov.uk.For the full story, don’t forget to read the latest issue of British Baker out on 12 December.
== Roast on a roll ==Borough Market-based restaurant Roast is to roll out its Roast to Go takeaway sandwich concept across 30 sites in the capital. The first Roast to Go opened in 2006 next to the main restaurant and sells sandwiches, made with bread from Flour Power City, Scotch eggs and snacks.== Costa increase ==Costa Coffee’s total sales are up 22.6% compared to the same period in 2007/08. Whitbread’s interim management statement also showed that the coffee chain’s like-for-like sales increased by 2.6% for the 39 weeks to 27 November 2008. The total number of Costa outlets now stands at 1,239.== Canada Bread inquiry ==Canada Bread Company is investigating allegations that a senior executive of its UK bakery operations may have sought to influence pricing of a competitor, Mr Bagel. Canada Bread entered into negotiations to acquire Mr Bagel in October, but these ceased in early December, when Mr Bagel sought to significantly raise the selling price of the business late in the process.== Emissions cut ==The latest report from the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) has revealed that its members have cut their carbon emissions by 17% since 1990. This equates to 58,000 tonnes less CO2 – the equivalent of taking 22,000 cars off UK roads each year. Among its members are Tate & Lyle, Macphie of Glenbervie, British Sugar, United Biscuits and Burtons Foods.== Amendment ==In the ’Reporting In’ column of the 28 November issue of British Baker, we incorrectly printed the words, BFP craft bakery marketing. It should have read BFP Wholesale. We apologise for any confusion.
Where have all the bread and confectionery competitions gone? Down in Kent we still run a county competition each year to find the Champion Kent Baker. The Western Region has been running bread and confectionery competitions for many years. Both competitions are well-supported by bakers from all over their areas.Many of us will remember the ’Hovis’ competitions or the Cardiff or Swansea competitions. These local contests provide the friendly rivalry to encourage bakers in their area to improve their products and strive to reach higher standards in their shops. The judges at such events are always happy to explain to individual competitors how improvements can be made.On competition day, the banter between competing bakers is evident and many lasting friendships are formed. It is important that bakers in a locality mix together, as they often have to rely on these friendships in times of emergency – or just to borrow supplies!l Watch out for the California Raisins competition with the final to be held at this year’s NA conference in Bournemouth in May. The California Raisin Bread Competition offers craft bakers the chance to win a trip to Las Vegas for producing the best-looking and tasting raisin bread. First prize is a trip to IBIE – a comprehensive baking expo in Las Vegas, held in 2010, combined with a study trip to California.For details, call 020 8741 8513 or email email@example.com. Deadline for entries is 19 March.
Hovis has continued to build its market share, according to Premier Foods’ interim results for the 16 weeks to 25 April 2009.In its Hovis division, sales in its baking business were up by 6% on the comparable period in 2008, due to strong branded sales growth offsetting lower volumes of own-label bread.However, bulk flour sales fell, primarily due to its exit from a low-margin flour contract during 2008, said the firm. This meant overall sales for the division were 4% lower than the same period last year.Chief executive Robert Schofield said Hovis – its biggest brand – continued to make excellent progress following its relaunch last year. “It is now the clear number two in the wrapped bread market, with a market share of over 25%,” he said, adding that further activity and innovation were planned for the brand throughout 2009.Premier also announced that it has transferred its Charnwood Foods frozen pizza base business from its chilled division to the Hovis division.
WhatsApp (Photo supplied/South Bend Police) South Bend Police are asking for help identifying a suspect in a shooting.The shooting happened during an apparent armed robbery attempt around 8:50 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 23 at a convenience store at the corner of Kemble and Dubail Streets.The store clerk was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening wounds to their lower body.South Bend Police tweeted a surveillance photo of a possible suspect and is asking for anybody who knows the suspect’s identity to contact them.The suspect is considered armed and dangerous.Anybody with information is asked to contact South Bend Police at 235-9263 or Michiana Crime Stoppers at 288-STOP.SUSPECT in armed robbery/shooting on S. Kemble St. Please help identify-armed/dangerous. 288-STOP or 235-9263. pic.twitter.com/GQLydMPZOG— South Bend Police (@southbendpolice) February 23, 2020 Suspect sought after armed robbery & shooting at food mart in South Bend Twitter WhatsApp IndianaLocalSouth Bend Market Google+ Pinterest Facebook Pinterest By Jon Zimney – February 23, 2020 0 335 Facebook Google+ Twitter Previous articleWarning to stay off of thin ice during warm spellNext articleFourth death in Michigan linked to e-cigarettes or vaping Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.
Twitter Facebook Google+ By Associated Press – April 2, 2020 1 180 CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Pinterest Twitter WhatsApp WhatsApp Facebook (Photo supplied/American Civil Liberties Union) INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana says a directive issued by Gov. Eric Holcomb in response to the coronavirus pandemic should not restrict women’s ability to obtain abortions in the state.An order issued Monday by Holcomb includes a directive that all Indiana health care facilities, including abortion clinics, cancel or postpone elective and non-urgent surgical procedures amid the coronavirus pandemic.Ken Falk, the ACLU of Indiana’s legal director, says that unlike orders issued in other states, including Texas, seeking to ban abortions during the pandemic, Indiana’s directive would not have such an impact because of the way it is worded. ACLU: Indiana virus directive should not restrict abortions Pinterest Previous articleIndiana jobless claims surged to 120,000 last weekNext articleIndiana testing more for coronavirus as deaths rise Associated PressNews from the Associated Press and its network of reporters and publications. Google+
Facebook Pinterest Pinterest CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews (Photo Supplied/Elkhart County 4-H Fair) The pandemic has put a halt to many things, including many summer fairs and festivals, but you can still get a taste of the fair in Elkhart County this June.The Elkhart County 4-H Fair is bringing the food to you with a Fair Food Drive-Thru event. Simply drive your car through the event to pick up your favorite treats.There are rules and requirements to attend the event, such only using cash, staying in your vehicles, and exiting the grounds after ordering and receiving food. Smoking and pets are not permitted, and public restrooms will not be available.The Fair Food Drive-Thru schedule is as follows:Friday, June 5 – Noon to 7pmSaturday, June 6 – Noon to 7pmSunday, June 7 – Noon to 5pmFriday, June 12 – Noon to 7pmSaturday, June 13 – Noon to 7pmSunday, June 14 – Noon to 5pmFriday, June 19 – Noon to 7pmSaturday, June 20 – Noon to 7pmSunday, June 21 – Noon to 5pmA list of vendors, menus and maps will be available early next week. Google+ Twitter Elkhart County 4-H Fair offers drive-thru fair food Google+ WhatsApp Facebook By Brooklyne Beatty – May 29, 2020 0 602 Twitter TAGS20/204-Hdrive-thruElkhart CountyfairfoodSummertreats WhatsApp Previous articleI&M reports ongoing scam calls targeting utility customersNext articleThe Elkhart County 4H Fair will not take place in 2020 Brooklyne Beatty
Experts at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) and their US colleagues have developed a system to identify weapons used by the enemy based on after-attack analysis.Knowing exactly what has been used in an attack can mean changes are made to kit and equipment, to protect against the latest threats and save the lives of soldiers on the front line.The system involves simple analysis and forensics gathering at the scene – something which is essential to do quickly in a battlefield environment, with more detailed reconstruction and analysis later on, to build a picture of what happened. Everything, from measuring the craters left by explosives to studying the blast patterns of bullets, can be used to accurately identify the weapons used, even down to the country of origin, with each weapon leaving behind a distinct ‘signature’.The package, funded by Dstl and created in partnership with the US Army National Ground Intelligence Centre (NGIC), is made up of sophisticated algorithms, libraries of collected data and results from live testing, and can provide accurate results quickly – sometimes within an hour of an incident.Louis Tutin, project manager from the blast and IED team at Dstl, said: The UK has been working on gathering intelligence from attack scenes since the Northern Ireland deployments and since then in Iraq and Afghanistan. This formal bilateral work with the US brings together best practice from organisations like the Metropolitan Police, the CIA and the FBI to inform the high-speed techniques required to gather evidence from a hostile environment.Col Charles Crowder, from NGIC, said: Gathering evidence from a crime scene is a painstaking process, which takes time. We don’t have that luxury; we must collect any data we can within two to ten minutes. With our UK partners at Dstl, we can deploy specialist Combat Incident Response teams within 72 hours, who can then study vehicles and the data collected on the ground for detailed analysis. The system is already in use at Dstl, providing a real-time resource for troops on the ground, and is set to be formally adopted by the MOD in the coming months.Find out more about Future Threat Programme It’s like a fingerprint, we can accurately identify the exact methods used by the enemy, and so can counter it with improved protection for our troops. Before this project, we relied on experience and opinion, now we can back this up with science. You can’t protect against bombs and bullets if you don’t know what the enemy’s using.
Press release: New fellowships for exceptional students launched in memory of Professor Stephen Hawking
Science Minister Sam Gyimah today (Monday 11 June) announced that new fellowships are to be created in mathematics and physics in tribute to Stephen Hawking, the world-leading British scientist whose work changed our understanding of the universe.The fellowships, which will build on the government’s modern Industrial Strategy and its record investment in science, research and innovation, will be awarded to exceptional candidates completing their doctoral studies in the fields of maths, physics and the computer sciences. Financial support will be offered to allow them to continue their work in any UK institution for up to 3 years.UK Research and Innovation will award up to 10 “Stephen Hawking” fellowships a year for the next 5 years.Professor Stephen Hawking was instrumental in providing greater insights into how the universe was created and is widely regarded as one of the most brilliant minds in science. His work included ground-breaking analysis of the laws that govern the universe, including his revelation that black holes produce radiation.Science Minister Sam Gyimah said: Stephen’s children, Robert, Lucy and Tim Hawking said: Our father knew the value that fellowships could provide to advancing research. As a scientist who made extraordinary discoveries throughout his career but particularly in his early years, he was very interested in the development of new talent and devoted much of his career to his teaching roles. We are thrilled that these fellowships will be named after him and see this as a great tribute to his life in science. Few have contributed as much to humanity’s understanding of the universe as Professor Hawking. His ground-breaking work inspired people of all ages and nations to think about the cosmos and their place in it, and to appreciate the beauty and elegance of mathematics and physics. I am delighted to announce that, following discussions with the Hawking family, we are creating the Hawking Fellowships in his memory. The Fellowships will allow exceptional graduate students in maths, physics and computer science in institutions across the UK to take their work even further. I can think of no more fitting tribute to this great man than to support the next generation to push the boundaries of knowledge of the laws that govern our universe. UKRI Chief Executive Professor Sir Mark Walport said: The fellowships will build on the work outlined in the government’s modern Industrial Strategy, building on our strengths in science, research and innovation to build a Britain fit for the future and using this vital knowledge to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Notes to editors: Professor Hawking’s life and work provided inspiration far beyond the world of scientific research. His discoveries opened a new window on our universe and through his books and personality he opened a unique window on science to millions. It is an honour to be launching fellowships in his memory and fitting that they will support a new generation of exceptional talent. Up to 50 Hawking Fellowships will support the research of our most talented mathematicians, physicists and computer scientists for up to 3 years prestigious award from UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) will honour the memory of the world leading British physicist who died in March this year Further details of the fellowship and how to apply will be publicised later this year.