爱上海 静安 闹闹

FIFA recognizes Nigerian federation elections

Posted on

first_imgFIFA has recognized this week’s Nigeria Football Federation elections and said Thursday it had sent a letter congratulating new president Amaju Pinnick.FIFA can now stand down over its threats to ban Nigeria the current African champion following months of turmoil and alleged government interference to influence the leadership of the Nigerian federation. FIFA rules do not allow governments to interfere in football matters.Nigeria was banned for nine days in July after outgoing NFF President Aminu Maigari was arrested on his return from the World Cup in Brazil and a sports ministry-appointed official was put in charge of the federation. The ban was lifted when Maigari was reinstated.The West African country was again threatened with suspension last month when Maigari was ousted from office for a second time in elections not recognized by FIFA.Pinnick, a sports administrator from the southern Delta state, was elected new president on Tuesday in a process overseen by Maigari one of the conditions laid down for the elections by FIFA. Pinnick needed two rounds of voting to secure the required two-thirds majority. FIFA said in a statement to The Associated Press that it had been notified of the results of the vote in the southern city of Warri.Failure to organize credible elections could have led to Nigeria’s team being thrown out of the ongoing African Cup of Nations qualifying competition, preventing it from defending its title in Morocco early next year. The elections for a new NFF executive were still rocky, with one of the seven initial candidates for the presidency declared ineligible after he failed to turn up amid reports that some officials were detained by state security forces. The start of the vote was delayed for two hours.The NFF said Pinnick had received a congratulatory message from FIFA President Sepp Blatter, but Nigerian authorities were also warned not to interfere again in football by FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke.”We now expect the NFF and its new leadership to carry out its activities without any hindrance in order to avoid having to again refer the case to the appropriate FIFA bodies for an automatic suspension,” Valcke wrote in a letter, according to the NFF.last_img read more

Florida man making Snapchat video causes crash that killed 2

Posted on

first_imgA Florida man is facing two counts of vehicular homicide and driving with a suspended license after recording a Snapchat video as he drove through a red light and caused a crash that killed a woman and her son in October.Police say 20-year-old Hunter Black ran through a red light and caused a crash that killed 41-year-old Alys Gonzalez and her 15-year-old son Aliandro Cond. The woman and her son were heading home from making food deliveries when Black’s Jeep crashed into them.They both died at the scene. Black was taken to a hospital with a concussion and a broken rib, reports say.Police discovered multiple videos of Black running stops signs and speeding.Court records show Black had appeared in court five times for traffic offenses.Black’s attorney says he’s cooperating with police.last_img read more

Tobacco Free County Facilities Begin January 1

Posted on

first_imgSubmitted by Thurston CountyThe new rules banning smoking, e-cigarettes and the use of other tobacco products at county buildings go into effect on January 1, 2014. County staffers have been hard at work since the county Board of Health approved the new policies back in May, and many county employees and visitors to county buildings have been reminded of the change in recent weeks as blue and white signs with the new policy information are appearing near doors and walkways on county properties.The new sign featuring the words “cleaner air” on a blue sky background is also featured on the county’s website. The goal of the new tobacco-free policy is to reduce exposure to secondhand smoke for employees and for guests visiting county properties. Commissioners also hope the new policy will encourage employees who do use tobacco to quit the habit.“We know there’s no such thing as a safe amount of secondhand smoke, and this new policy is a tried and tested way of reducing secondhand smoke exposure and making our facilities and campuses safer and healthier for our employees and for the public,” said Thurston County Commissioner and Board of Health Chair Karen Valenzuela.Thurston County is one of several South Sound organizations to go tobacco free. Other government agencies and large employers have adopted similar policies in recent years:Mason County – 2006Capital Medical Center – 2010Providence St. Peter Hospital – 2010Washington State Department of Health – 2010South Puget Sound Community College – 2011All county properties and worksites, including wholly-leased properties, will be subject to the new tobacco-free policy. Thurston County parks will not be subject to the new tobacco-free rules.For more information on the county’s new tobacco-free policy, click here.   Click on the blue and white graphic with the words “Coming January 1st—cleaner air.” Facebook0Tweet0Pin0last_img read more