Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong was arrested on Thursday in relation to a protest at the height of the city’s pro-democracy unrest last year, his lawyer said.The detention of the city’s most high-profile dissident is the latest in a string of arrests of government critics and comes after China imposed a sweeping new national security law on Hong Kong in late June.He was arrested for “unlawful assembly” over a 2019 demonstration against a government ban on face masks that was imposed before the coronavirus pandemic, his lawyer said. The 23-year-old pro-democracy figure said on Twitter he was also being held for violating the “draconian anti-mask law”, which has since been ruled unconstitutional.Wong’s lawyer told AFP he was arrested when he reported to a police station concerning another case against him, for which he is currently on trial.”Wong is accused of participating in an unlawful assembly on October 5 last year, when hundreds marched to oppose an anti-mask ban the government rolled out,” lawyer Jonathan Man said. The march that day came after much of the city had ground to a halt with the subway suspended and many shops and malls shuttered following a night of violence. Hundreds of protesters, almost all masked, staged the unsanctioned demonstration through the popular shopping district of Causeway Bay, a day after the city’s leader Carrie Lam outlawed masks by invoking colonial-era emergency powers not used for half a century.The act of resistance came after a night of widespread chaos as hardcore protesters trashed dozens of subway stations, vandalized shops with mainland China ties, built fires and blocked roads. Many chanted “No rioters, only tyranny” and other popular protest slogans.At the time of the march, Hong Kong had already been battered by four months of increasingly violent pro-democracy protests. Topics :
94 Pring St, Hendra.Meanwhile one of the two houses which he is currently building in Gordon St, Hendra is the old station master’s house which he relocated from Zillman Rd in order to maintain it’s historical value. 94 Pring St, Hendra.Brisbane entrepreneur Alan Pinkey and his wife Sharon are selling their Hendra home and keen on a sea change.South African-born Mr Pinkey, the owner of Hendra’s iconic convenience store Pinkey’s, on Zillman Rd, listed their two-level, five-bedroom home at 94 Pring St, with Ray White Ascot’s Leigh Kortlang.94 Pring St, Hendra.The property which was built 13 years ago will go to auction on June 10 at 10am.Pinkey said the time was right to sell their recently repainted home and relocate to the Gold Coast.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home4 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor4 hours ago“I am trying to slowdown as our children are grown up. It’s a big step to sell your home, but we have been thinking about it for a while,” he said.94 Pring St, Hendra.It was in 1973 that Pinkey decide to buy a small corner store on Zillman Rd. He owns a lot of property including Hendra Plaza.Pinkey said his favourite room in the home was the bar.‘‘We have a beautiful bar and we have had some good parties through the years as we used to do a lot of entertaining,” Pinkey said.94 Pring St, Hendra.
DIRECTORS of Archery Guyana paid a courtesy call on the Minister of Social Cohesion, Dr. George Norton at the Ministry’s headquarters on Main Street on Wednesday.During the visit, they discussed with the Minister who also has responsibility for Culture,Youth and Sport, their plans for the future and gave an update as to the progress of Archery Guyana thus far.A proposed Junior Archery Programme, Schools Programme and Para-Archery Programme were also discussed with plans being made to pursue more outreach programmes.Early in2018, Archery Guyana will be hosting an International Olympic Coach here for 10 days to conduct a coaching clinic.Persons interested in becoming involved in the sport are urged to do indicate early so they can learn and be able to benefit from the said coaching.Minister Norton has expressed his commitment to work with Archery Guyana and looks forward to help promote and developing the novel sport in Guyana.
Keno EdhowoNigeria’s Aruna Quadri has inscribed his name in history as the first table tennis player in the continent to attain the 25th spot in the September ranking released by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) yesterday.Quadri was one of the stars at the Rio Olympic Games in Brazil after stunning the world to become the first African to play in the last eight of the Games.From the 2,305 points he had in the pre-Olympic ranking in August, Quadri added 152 points from his performance in Brazil reach 2,457 point mark to achieve his new status as Africa’s best player ever in the September ranking. Apart from rising to 25, Quadri in the latest ranking was also listed among the most active players in the world based on his rise from 40th in August to 25th in September.Other active players in the recent rating include; Brazil’s Hugo Calderano and England’s Paul Drinkhall. Calderano who like Quadri, became the first player from South America to play in the quarterfinal of the Olympic Games.The Brazilian who was rated 54 in August is now ranked 31 in the world, while Drinkhall moved from 58 to 32 in the globe grading.Also, a member of the ITTF ‘7’ Club, Nigeria’s Segun Toriola was rewarded for his effort in Rio as the seventh time Olympian moved from 120 to 106 in the latest ranking, while Egypt’s Omar Assar remains the continent number two.Assar who was edged out in the second round of the Rio Olympic Games by Ukraine’s Lei Kou dropped from 55 to 56 in the world.Despite dropping to 118 from 110, Egypt’s Dina Meshref remains the top ranked African female player, while Nigeria’s duo of Edem Offiong and Olufunke Oshonaike were not lucky as well with Offiong dropping from 120 to 129 while Oshonaike dropped from 241 to 251.Olympic and World Champion, China’s Ma Long held on to the summit of the ranking again as the Asian star and his compatriot – Shiwen Liu remain number one ranked male and female players in the world.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Listen back to the 2019 North Iowa Band Festival Parade broadcast as heard on AM-1300 KGLO
LOS ANGELES – A mistrial was declared Wednesday in the murder case against legendary music producer Phil Spector when the jury reported that it was deadlocked 10-2 in favor of convicting him of killing actress Lana Clarkson at his mansion more than 4 years ago. The District Attorney’s Office announced it will seek to retry Spector. “I know the inability to reach a decision is controversial to most,” the jury foreman said later. “Even on the jury there’s deep regret that we were unable to reach a unanimous verdict.” The foreman would not say which way he voted. He was among three jurors who agreed to speak to reporters at the courthouse but did not give their names. The other two said they voted for guilt. The mistrial came after months of trial that left jurors having to decide who pulled the trigger of a revolver – with no fingerprints – that went off in Clarkson’s mouth about 5 a.m. on Feb. 3, 2003. The 10-2 split represented movement from a week earlier when the foreman reported a 7-5 split, but the jurors said there were other votes including one in which four voted guilty, five voted for acquittal and three were undecided. One of the jurors said the holdouts were arguing over whether Clarkson was suicidal, and he said the entire jury would have liked to see a psychological profile of Clarkson. Another juror was troubled by what Spector, who did not call 911, did in the 40 minutes between the death and the time police arrived. “He acted like a guilty man,” the juror said. The jury had met for about 44 hours over 12 days since getting the case Sept. 10. After the initial deadlock, the judge withdrew one instruction that he decided misstated the law and he gave a controversial new one that gave examples of inferences the jury could draw from the evidence, including the possibility that Spector forced Clarkson to place the gun in her own mouth and it went off. Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler polled the jury and each member agreed that a unanimous decision was not possible. “At this time, I will find that the jury is unable to arrive at a verdict and declare a mistrial in this matter,” the judge said. Spector’s attorneys met with the jury afterward. “We thank the people of Los Angeles for keeping an open mind and the jury for their very hard work and their willingness to share their thoughts with us,” defense attorney Linda Kenney-Baden following the meeting. District Attorney Steve Cooley said prosecutors were disappointed. “We will seek the court’s permission to retry the case and begin immediately to prepare for a retrial,” Cooley said in a statement. A hearing was set for Wednesday. “We will not rest until justice is done,” said John C. Taylor, a lawyer for Clarkson’s family. Spector and his wife, Rachelle, left the courthouse shortly after the mistrial. Prosecutors charged Spector under an implied-malice, second-degree murder theory that did not require premeditation or intent. They called women from his past who claimed he threatened them with guns when they tried to leave his presence, and a chauffeur who testified that on the fateful morning Spector came out of his home with a gun in hand and said, “I think I killed somebody,” while Clarkson’s body sat slumped in a foyer chair behind him. The defense countered with a scientific case, suggesting Spector did not fire the gun and offering forensic evidence that she killed herself either intentionally or by accident. Gunshot residue on her hands, blood spatter on his coat and the trajectory of the bullet were the subjects of weeks of testimony from experts. Spector, 67, rose to fame in the 1960s with the “Wall of Sound” recording technique that changed pop music. Clarkson was best known for her role in Roger Corman’s 1985 cult film “Barbarian Queen.” Their life stories reflected opposite sides of the pop culture landscape. The breadth of Spector’s contributions to popular music in the 1960s and early 1970s was astounding. Early in his career, he produced hits like “He’s a Rebel” and “Be My Baby” that made pop stars of such groups as the Crystals and the Ronettes. Later, after the Beatles shelved the tapes from some of their last recording sessions, he turned them into their final album, 1970’s “Let it Be.” From there, he went on to produce critically acclaimed solo albums by the former Beatles John Lennon and George Harrison. He also co-wrote and produced the Ben E. King standard “Spanish Harlem” and the Righteous Brothers’ “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’,” cited by BMI as the most played song in the history of American radio. But by the time he met Clarkson, the music industry wunderkind who struck it rich in his teens and changed the face of pop music had aged into an eccentric millionaire recluse with a castle home in the suburbs. Clarkson, 40, was an ambitious dreamer, a statuesque beauty who idolized Marilyn Monroe., chased fame but was beaten down by rejection. Friends testified that Clarkson, 40, was at the end of her rope financially and humiliated by having to take the House of Blues hostess job where she met Spector. Jurors heard of Clarkson’s decision to go home with Spector for a drink after the club closed at 2 a.m. Little more than three hours later, she was dead. What happened in those three hours was never clear. Spector did not testify and prosecutors stated no motive for him to kill her other than her apparent decision to leave the house. No prosecution forensic expert was able to place the gun in Spector’s hands. But blood spatter on his coat and in his pants pockets were analyzed by prosecution experts to suggest it showed he was the shooter. Defense experts said he stood too far away to have shot her. Blood spatter, they said, can travel up to six feet. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
FAI CUP DRAW: Finn Harps have been handed a difficult away assignment against Longford Town in the second-round of the FAI Cup. Ollie Horgan’s side who sit top of Division One after ten league games will face Tony Cousin’s Premier Division outfit at Flancare Park on Saturday the 30th of May.Longford Town have made a decent start to life back in the top-tier of Irish football after winning the First Division title last season. However, while it’s a difficult tie for Harps, Longford will no doubt be thinking the same.Harps have been in superb form this season and will not be fazed about the prospect of travelling to Longford.Harps fans and the club’s board would’ve loved a home draw but hopefully if they can negotiate their way past Longford they can get a bumper tie in the next round at home.USL side Cockhill Celtic have been handed a home draw against St. Mochtas. Donal O’Brien’s side gave Drogheda United a big scare last season and will view the tie as a great opportunity to progress to the next round. FAI CUP: HARPS HANDED TOUGH DRAW AWAY TO LONGFORD TOWN was last modified: May 6th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:drawfai cupFinn Harps FCLongford TownnewsSport