Month: December 2019
Stevan Jovetic celebrates his winning goal on his Inter debut Stevan Jovetic got his Inter career off to a great start with a goal on his competitive debut as the club began their Serie A campaign with a 1-0 win against Atalanta.It appeared Roberto Mancini’s men were heading for a 0-0 draw until the Montenegro international, three minutes into stoppage time, curled the ball past Marco Sportiello from 18 yards.Jovetic joined Inter from Man City at the end of July in a year and a half loan deal, with a view to a permanent transfer having been at the Etihad since 2013.He scored 11 goals in 44 games for the side as injury prevented him from managing a consistent run in the first team. 1
Ron Atkinson has told Gary Neville to make a translator his first signing as Valencia boss!Neville has been appointed as head coach of the Spanish side until the end of the season – linking up with brother Phil, assistant coach at the club since July, at the Mestalla.Atkinson spent a brief spell managing Atletico Madrid in the ‘80s and asked what advice he would give the former Manchester United star, he responded: “It is very important that when he does his press conferences, he has his translator there with him.“I took a tip from Terry Venables when I went there [to Spain]. He said never to do a press conference without your translator. I did it once and made a one letter mistake in my translation of a player. We had a striker called Manolo and I called him Manola, which is a girls’ name, and I got merciful stick over it!”Atkinson believes taking on the Valencia job is a ‘great opportunity’ for Neville.Dietmar Hamann feels the 40-year-old is taking a ‘big, big chance’ in choosing to kick off his managerial career in La Liga, but Atkinson sees nothing but positives about the move.The 76-year-old, who counts Aston Villa, Coventry, Man United and Sheffield Wednesday among clubs he has managed, said: “It is a smashing club, a beautiful city and they love their football.“His brother has been there for some time. That is a big thing for him. And he is going into somewhere where he already has got good contacts.“I know he has had no experience coaching a club side but he has worked with the England team, he has done an awful lot on the television, where he seems to have a good knowledge of what he is on about, and I think it is a great opportunity.“He is basically going out there as a coach. He is not going to have to get involved at this moment in time with bringing in new players. It is basically organising a football team, which you assume he is pretty good at.”
*DISCLAIMER: Like a four-year contract from Roman Abramovich, this video shouldn’t be taken seriously!It seems Jose Mourinho has finally broken his silence after being sacked by Chelsea last week.‘Who has he spoken to?’ we hear you ask… talkSPORT’s ever-reliable translator of course!The Special One is hunting down the Man United job (apparently), but how will the Red Devils’ current boss Louis van Gaal react to that?You can find out by watching the video above or you could also check out YouTube.com/talkSPORT for regular and free, funny football content.
Leicester forward Riyad Mahrez has insisted the team are under no pressure as they chase a first top-flight title in the club’s 132-year history.The Algeria international had not expected at the start of the season that, with nine games to go, the Foxes would be looking down from the top of the Barclays Premier League, with a five-point advantage over the following pack.But he claimed the pressure was far less than at the same point in the 2014/15 term, when they were bottom of the table and needed seven wins from their last nine games to escape the drop.And, as he nears the end of a remarkable season – which has seen him score 15 league goals and be strongly tipped to be crowned PFA Player of the Year – he brushed off suggestions that he was looking ahead to a possible transfer to a bigger club.“I’m not thinking about that,” he said. “The last games we need to keep working hard and see what we can do. I’m really not thinking about this. I have three more years in Leicester and then we’ll see.”The 25-year-old was making no predictions of whether City can finish champions, telling the Press Association: “I don’t know. The future will say that to us.”But he did admit he did not start the 2015/16 campaign anticipating Leicester would be top of the table in March.“I wasn’t expecting that, but that’s now the reality,” he said. “I’m happy to be here. I’m pleased.”Asked whether he was feeling the pressure, he replied: “No pressure. We are playing as always. We will just see what can happen for us.“We just work hard for everyone. We are just a good team, good team-mates and we are doing well. We have to keep going.”Mahrez was speaking as he visited the Palace of Westminster to accept a Sportsman of the Year prize as part of the Political and Public Life Awards, voted for by readers of Asian Voice magazine.He told Sky Sports: “People think we have pressure, but we are just like normal. We have always been like that and we stay like that, like a normal team.“Now everyone starts talking about us, and that’s normal of course because we are doing very well, but we have to keep going. No pressure, just a bonus. You’re in a good team, you have to enjoy.”He left no doubt that he felt there was less pressure at the top of the table than the bottom.“Last year was very difficult,” he said. “Last year we had pressure.“Last year gave us more experience and we are now in a different situation – we are playing for the title. It’s something crazy, but that’s the reality. You have to enjoy it. I’m very happy, but we have to keep going.”Leicester East MP Keith Vaz welcomed Mahrez to Parliament for the ceremony.He said: “I’m delighted that Riyad Mahrez has accepted the award of Sportsman of the Year. He has brought joy and delight and pleasure to all of Leicester and he has become a real icon.“I’m sure he will get many awards this year, but I’m delighted that this is the first.” Riyad Mahrez celebrates scoring for Leicester City against Watford 1
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Plaintiff Joaquin Aguilar Mendez filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging that Rivera, who was then a bishop in Puebla state, transferred a priest to Los Angeles in 1988 for nine months even though he knew abuse allegations had been lodged against him. The priest, Nicolas Aguilar Rivera, is no relation to the cardinal or the plaintiff. The judge’s ruling also dismisses claims against the Mexican Diocese of Tehuacan, where the cardinal was bishop at the time he transferred the priest. Rivera’s spokesman, Hugo Valdemar, told The Associated Press in Mexico City that the cardinal was pleased with the judge’s decision. “We are happy and satisfied that the judge confirmed what we have always said: This isn’t a case to be judged in the United States,” Valdemar said, noting the plaintiff had every right to present a complaint in Mexico. A lawsuit accusing Mexico City Cardinal Norberto Rivera of conspiring with Roman Catholic officials in the United States to shelter a pedophile priest was dismissed Tuesday. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elihu M. Berle found Rivera could not be held accountable in a U.S. court because the plaintiff didn’t have enough evidence against him, said Mike Finnegan, the plaintiff’s attorney. “It was a legal technicality,” he said. “It didn’t reach any of the merits of the case and it didn’t get to the key issues in the case, which is Cardinal Rivera’s complicity in sending (the priest) to the United States as a child molester.” Steve Selsberg, an attorney representing the Mexican cardinal in Los Angeles, said the judge found no evidence of conspiracy after reviewing a year’s worth of discovery collected by attorneys from both sides. While it is The Associated Press’ policy not to identify people who allege sexual abuse, Mendez chose to come forward with his story. He said Tuesday that he was disappointed in the ruling, but planned to have his U.S. attorneys appeal the case.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Peter CaseyA DONEGAL-based businessman says the county is falling behind because of its dreadful internet connections.Dragon’s Den star Peter Casey says he couldn’t do international video interviews from his Inishowen recruitment company base – because they couldn’t guarantee the connection.He said it was 2010 before we got anything consistently better than dial-up – and today, while a major provider offers a fibre optic system capable of 50 Mbps (megabits per second), “by the time it gets to our copper-wire “last mile”, it’s reduced to 6.5 Mbps down and just .5 up – far behind just about any internet-intensive businesses elsewhere on the planet.” Said Casey: “We have recently invested in cutting-edge technology that will allow us to conduct live interviews with anyone on the planet.“However, we won’t be able to use it in our Irish HQ (in Lisfannon) with its current connectivity unless we want to create a very bad impression with people that we want to hire for our clients.“This also reflects badly on our reputation as a high quality provider.“I grew up in Derry and came to know and love Donegal from a very young age. “I’ve invested my money, mind, heart and sweat here. My business is here. Although it’s a business that depends more than many on digital connectivity, it is still here.“But the digital infrastructure the Government has promised us for a long time now is not. And that, for me, is a major problem.”He said Dubliners on cable can get internet connections 50 times faster, complaining: “The democratic proposition that the internet gives everyone an equal opportunity to access information, education, and commercial opportunity is a myth.“Internet access depends as much on physical space as it does on cyberspace. The best speeds are delivered by fibre or cable. Live at any distance from urban Ireland, and you won’t get anything approaching the fastest service.“Rural Ireland is on the wrong side of a vast digital divide. On the right side is well-connected continental Europe as well as urban Ireland. Those of us in the country? We’re a world away from both places. A third world away, in fact. “Take a look at the amount of empty business premises in the typical village or town these days.“We cannot let this go on. A recent World Bank study found that for every 10-percentage-point increase in the penetration of broadband there is an increase of 1.3 percentage points in economic growth.“Broadband is essential to business and very good for any country. If only the cities have it, the countryside suffers economically, culturally, and politically. Disconnected, lovely towns and quaint villages become places to leave.“We are always boasting about our highly educated work force, but there is not much point in training people if they cannot communicate with each other and the rest of the world. “This digital inequality between urban and rural communities is making the economic inequality between these regions even greater.”In a weekend article Casey warned: “Quality, high-speed broadband is a necessity rather than a privilege in today’s society, and should be available in all areas, not just the largest.“Otherwise, we are in danger of creating fast Ireland and slow Ireland, the latter seeing areas such as Donegal continuing to slide to the bottom of the economic table.”DONEGAL SLIDING TO BOTTOM OF ECONOMIC PILE BECAUSE OF TERRIBLE INTERNET, WARNS DRAGON’S DEN STAR was last modified: August 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:buncranaDragon’s DeninternetLisfannonPeter Casey
Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis wants to return to France 1 Marseille are still in contact with Swansea over a potential loan deal for striker Bafetimbi Gomis, according to reports in France.Gomis managed just seven goals in 35 appearances for the Welsh club last term and reports earlier this summer suggested he is keen on a return to his native France.However, Swansea boss Francesco Guidolin wants to keep hold of the 30-year-old and club chairman Huw Jenkins is proving to be a tough negotiator in terms of reaching an agreement with Marseille over Gomis’ wages.Marseille have offered to cover 30 per cent of Gomis’ salary but Swansea will only release the player if the French club agree to a 50-50 split.Gomis joined Swansea from Lyon in 2014 but has since lost his place in the France squad and believes his only chance of regaining his spot is by sealing a move back to Ligue 1.
Jeff Augustyn will be going to the front of the boat for the first time this year. The San Dimas resident, who has fished, rather successfully, from the rear of the boat, is making the move to the pro ranks when the WON Bass Southern season gets underway next month at Lake Havasu City, Ariz. In WON Bass events, usually two-day affairs, the pro and the paying amateur fish together. They get to share the top weights of their fish. He started 2004 with a 23rd-place finish at Lake Oroville and a 24th-place finish at Havasu. But it was on the California Delta where he caught fire. After a so-so first day throwing spinnerbaits, he teamed up with pro Jeff Bradshaw. With 10 minutes to go before the weigh-in, Augustyn landed a 11.19-pounder just outside the landing buoys on a Senko. “I just won you a boat,” Augustyn says he remembered telling Bradshaw. “I felt a tick on the line. We had a 4-pounder we were trying to cull. He asked me if I thought it was big. I thought it was 5, maybe 6 (pounds). I kept it off the tules, and when it jumped, he said, `You have a monster!’ We crossed the timing control with a couple of minutes to spare. And when they asked how many bags I would need, I said `five.”‘ Bradshaw, indeed, won the tournament and a bass boat, as the pair had five fish weighing 35
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Santa Anita stewards Tom Ward, George Slender and Scott Chaney handed out three-day suspensions (Jan. 19-21) to jockeys Corey Nakatani, Juan Ochoa and William Antongeorgi on Thursday. The riders were cited for failure to maintain courses with their mounts. Nakatani was benched for his ride aboard Victory Sign in last Wednesday’s fourth race, Ochoa for his ride on Fantasmin in Wednesday’s seventh race, while Antongeorgi was ticketed for his ride aboard Trail Mix in last Sunday’s second race. On New Year’s Day of this year, Mitchell once again left for the Sunshine State to check on his horses, but will now limit his excursions east. “I’m not going to spend as much time in Florida this year,” he said. “They didn’t give me a lot of stalls in Florida, only six, so if I claim some, I’ll kind of be looking for more.” ARCADIA – At age 57, trainer Mike Mitchell doesn’t seem to mind logging frequent flyer miles. Last winter, the Bakersfield native often could be seen boarding a jet at L.A. International Airport bound for Hallendale, Fla. He has stables racing on two fronts, Santa Anita and Gulfstream Park. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!